Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford Towers Installation question ****UPDATE NEW QUESTION*****

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TxK5Blazer, May 24, 2004.

1. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am installing my ford towers this weekend and wanted to know the best way to get the rivits out of the old shock mounts to remove them? Jason

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Ford Towers Installation question

personally, hand grinder, grind them down till the head is gone and you can see the circle that defines them, then use a punch and hammer and beat them out.

3. TxK5Blazer

that is exactly what I was thinking....Jason

anybody got any other ideas that might be a little better?

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    personally, hand grinder, grind them down till the head is gone and you can see the circle that defines them, then use a punch and hammer and beat them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep what he said /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I just done this last weekend.
    I ground the head off, used a metal chizel to pop the hanger off then smacked the rivit out with a punch instead of trying to punch it though two layers, but yeah thats it.

Tryed the torch on my other frame and it welded the rivet in. What a pain /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

The easiest way I figured on setting the height of the shock tower was to bolt the shock to the tower, figured out half stroke and wired it to the point. Then once the frame hanger is off, you can trim the wheel well if needed and mount the lower point of the shock to the axle. Then I used a couple of welding magnets to hold the tower in place, in a straight line, while I crawled under and marked the holes on the back side. Then I transfered the holes to the other tower by drilling it, then setting them back to back.

Dont forget about your fuel lines and you'll probley have to drill out the tower hole for the shock to 7/16" and the frame holes to 1/2" /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

good luck, post pics

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I used my air chisel/hammer. I had both of the stock mounts off in about 30 seconds.

Don't just go bolting up your towers at, "half stroke" of your shocks. You need to actually measure so that when you're at full stuff, your shock will not bottom out. Then allow as much as possible for the shock to have for droop to allow for maximum travel. I'm not exactly sure where my shock sits at ride height in reference to its capability, but I know I can go all the way into the bumpstop and then some without bottoming and the rest is set up for max droop.

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

hey tim, what's the travel on the gagriels #g63438???

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

12.53"

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

thanks's
    another question what shocks do you use with your ford towers???

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have G63438 at all four corners right now.

If I ever change I'm going to buy bilstein 5150s with 14" of travel....but I'm liking the gabs right now and they were super cheap.

If you know me all that well I'm willing to spend money where I feel it is due, but I'm typically a cheapass.

10. TxK5Blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    I used my air chisel/hammer. I had both of the stock mounts off in about 30 seconds.

Don't just go bolting up your towers at, "half stroke" of your shocks. You need to actually measure so that when you're at full stuff, your shock will not bottom out. Then allow as much as possible for the shock to have for droop to allow for maximum travel. I'm not exactly sure where my shock sits at ride height in reference to its capability, but I know I can go all the way into the bumpstop and then some without bottoming and the rest is set up for max droop.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do I go about figuring this I am kinda stumped right now with buying a new house I have a lot on my mind and can't think how to figure this.....Jason

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Easiest and most accurate way is to take the shocks off and find something to "ramp" on. Best option is some place to get fully crossed up, almost balancing on opposite corners with the drooped tires barely (or not) touching. Then mount the shock so that it is almost closed on the compressed side. This gives you max use of your shock. However, it should be obvious that you need to do any bump stop changes before setting the shocks...

12. TxK5Blazer

Thanks I will do some measuring on this and try this idea if I can find a place to ramp on not much around here near my house but I will try...Jason