Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford vs. Dodge vs. GM front Dana 60 compatibility??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2Blazer, Mar 23, 2001.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Basically, how many parts are interchangeable between the Ford or Dodge version front Dana 60 and the GM version front Dana 60? I'm mostly interested in the spindle/hub/rotor/locking hub area. The reason is that I know of a couple of front 60's, or parts of them, from Fords and Dodges that could be had fairly cheaply, and I've found a couple of GM front 60's from a dually for a halfway reasonable price. I was wondering if it was possible to use parts of a Dodge or Ford version to convert a dually GM 60 to a single wheel configuration.

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

There's an article in one of the 4 wheeler mags about this very same subject. I'll dig around the house this weekend and see if I can find it. It talks about both front and rear Dana 60 axles.

3. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Outter stuff is all different between the three. Chevy used king pin for knuckles, Ford used ball joints on their later 60's. Inner stuff is all compatible. Outter shafts are longer on Chevy and Dodge. Also Ford is the only one with the reverse cut gears. This is by far the best because the pinion is higher, so better for clearance and driveline angles. Now if they had only placed the pumpkin on the right side....

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Dynatrac has a new D60 housing to be used as reverse cut gears and compatible with either driver or passenger side. Its even stronger materials than the stock parts. I cant remember exactly what they said, but the way its designed, it can work higher pinion angles and still have better lubricating than the stock reverse cut D60. I think they said they can build up to 24 degree operating angle over stock. Not for sure though. Give them a call.

5. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

We have a gm front dana 60 from a dually. We just had it machined down.
    We also have a rear ford Dana 60. We needed to move the perches to chevy standards :)

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </A>