Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford vs. Dodge

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by willyswanter, May 21, 2004.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, here are my two options:

1) 2002 Dodge Ext. Cab 3500 with CTD and 6 speed stick 4x4 dually.

2) 2002 Ford Crewcab F350 with PS and 6 speed stick 4x4 dually.

So, I'm having a hard time here. I love the Cummins Turbo Diesel but I am not a big fan of Dodges. The drivetrain is bulletproof but it still has a Dodge wrapped around it.

I like the Ford trucks alot better but I have never had any experiences with the 7.3L power strokes. I see some Cummins trucks going over 450,000 without a rebuild on TDR, how are the well maintained power strokes doing? I really want a crew cab since I have become acustomed to it on my truck and like it way better than my old extended cab. Can't get the Dodge in a crewcab unless I get the 2003 or newer ones and I don't like that body style at all, or the new common rail cummins.

So whatcha think?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

one of my friends dads has a 95 f250 crew cab with the 7.3, not sure hw many miles are on it but that thing hauls anything you hook to it. he was having some tranny problems but you want a stick so that wouldn't matter. the only real problem he had with it was he blew a 10.5 sterling up. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

me personaly i would never own a ford or a dodge, i seem to have too many problems with them /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Both drivetrains will hold up about equally. Maybe the ford rear is a little stronger, but not by much. The ford has more power and a larger cab. The fords are great, but the 03 and up dodges are awesome, except for the smaller cab. They are much improved over the 02 and down models. The new American axles that dodge uses are beefy to say the least.
    Out of your two choices id have to go with ford.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, here are my two options:

1) 2002 Dodge Ext. Cab 3500 with CTD and 6 speed stick 4x4 dually.

2) 2002 Ford Crewcab F350 with PS and 6 speed stick 4x4 dually.

So, I'm having a hard time here. I love the Cummins Turbo Diesel but I am not a big fan of Dodges. The drivetrain is bulletproof but it still has a Dodge wrapped around it.

I like the Ford trucks alot better but I have never had any experiences with the 7.3L power strokes. I see some Cummins trucks going over 450,000 without a rebuild on TDR, how are the well maintained power strokes doing? I really want a crew cab since I have become acustomed to it on my truck and like it way better than my old extended cab. Can't get the Dodge in a crewcab unless I get the 2003 or newer ones and I don't like that body style at all, or the new common rail cummins.

So whatcha think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell you from the contractors I deal with everyday, 80% have the FORDS, 19% have the GM's and 1% get the DODGES.
    These people run those trucks all day, pulling or idling they never shut them down, and they go a long way.

I still hate the FORDS but it's just a matter of taste.

5. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

I have two fords (diesels). The 7.3 is bulletproof. The 6.0 has more power, but the jury is still out on reliability (even I've had a elec problem).

The new 600 HO CTD in the dodge is nice! The engine, I mean.
    I'm not that fond of the truck. I can't imagine driving a dodge with 450,000 miles on it. lol

If I were buying used and for towing, I'd get a dodge 24v 5.9 (not the new body style), with a stick trans or the ford 7.3 powerstroke.

If ford, avoid the early 99 superduties, if possible, as there are quite a few changed made in 99.5 versions (steering gear, track bar bolt size etc.). 99's and 2000's have forged rods. sometime in 01, they went to powdered metal rods. I'vd heard of a few people that broke the rods using chips and/or propane. Never heard of a problem with the forged rods in the 99 and 00's, though.

If new and a daily driver, I'd get the ford.

You've got a tough decision!
    -T

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Another major consideration. How many people do you plan on taking along?
    Ford wins interior volume hands down. That is the one thing I don't care for on my '98 Dodge, back seat has less room than the '88-98 GM ext cabs. If rear seat room is not an issue then my personal prefference would be the Dodge/Cummins. Most people I run across don't get great mpg with thier PSDs.

7. willyswanter

Thanks for all the comments. I have been doing alot of reading on the Ford's on sites and I'm not liking what I'm seeing... My research has mainly been on just the drivetrain. You can't pump up the power nearly like you can with a cummins. I think I'm going to go with the Dodge /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I like this:

[​IMG]

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Those are not correctly labled. That should be GM 6.2, International 7.3 (or other designations), and Cummins 6BT.

No idea how the Duramax or Navistar 6.0 compare in rod size. But "size isn't everything" as they say. And for "cheap power", you can't beat a Duramax. Over 500 rwhp and around 1000 ft/lbs with nothing but a computer box. The Cummins 6BT may ultimately make more power and survive, but it costs more to get there and requires many major systems be upgraded (pretty much everything but the block, crank, and head) to do it.

9. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for all the comments. I have been doing alot of reading on the Ford's on sites and I'm not liking what I'm seeing... My research has mainly been on just the drivetrain. You can't pump up the power nearly like you can with a cummins. I think I'm going to go with the Dodge /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I like this:

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have see that pic in the past it drives me nuts the C is a I 6 and 7.3 is a v8

i am very happy with my ford X with the 7.3

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

I like this:

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have see that pic in the past it drives me nuts the C is a I 6 and 7.3 is a v8

[/ QUOTE ]

You just beat me to it.
    You have to have bigger rods when you divide by 6 instead of 8.
    Granted the V8 is 7.3 and the I6 is 5.9 still the ford cylinder is .91 Litre, and the cummins .98 so it needs a bigger rod.
    Not to say anything about the Cummins, I have it's cousin same size same dimension Perkins TD and I love it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. willyswanter

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

I like this:

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You just beat me to it.
    You have to have bigger rods when you divide by 6 instead of 8.
    Granted the V8 is 7.3 and the I6 is 5.9 still the ford cylinder is .91 Litre, and the cummins .98 so it needs a bigger rod.
    Not to say anything about the Cummins, I have it's cousin same size same dimension Perkins TD and I love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol I don't care, it's still stronger /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Also don't like the idea of max. boost psi on the 7.3 of 20... Whereas I've seen dodges at 65 with twins...

12. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I have owned both of the trucks you are looking at and know own a cummins dodge.
    when people post up about all the commercial companys and big construction outfits owning the fords its because ford has big incentives and damn near pays you to buy there trucks. they also have fleet sales that will outdo both dodge and chev. that is the only reason everybody has them for buisness. I know this first hand.

second when it comes to towing, my dodge is twice the tow rig that the ford ever wanted to be it handles weight a lot better and just feels comfortable with a big load.
    I am not putting the ford down because it was a very nice truck but it spent damn near as much time at the dealership that it did with me. maybe I just got a bad one.

the fuel mileage was no comparison the dodge gets about 8 miles per gallon better around town and towing about 5mpg better

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have owned both of the trucks you are looking at and know own a cummins dodge.
    when people post up about all the commercial companys and big construction outfits owning the fords its because ford has big incentives and damn near pays you to buy there trucks. they also have fleet sales that will outdo both dodge and chev. that is the only reason everybody has them for buisness. I know this first hand.

second when it comes to towing, my dodge is twice the tow rig that the ford ever wanted to be it handles weight a lot better and just feels comfortable with a big load.
    I am not putting the ford down because it was a very nice truck but it spent damn near as much time at the dealership that it did with me. maybe I just got a bad one.

the fuel mileage was no comparison the dodge gets about 8 miles per gallon better around town and towing about 5mpg better

[/ QUOTE ]

I know about the leasing programs that ford puts out, and I know that is the only reason ford sales are higher, but what i was saying is there is enough of them out there being worked to find out the problems and i can say they are not that bad.
    I still like the Cummins better, an I6 will be better than a V8 for towing anyday.

14. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know about the leasing programs that ford puts out, and I know that is the only reason ford sales are higher, but what i was saying is there is enough of them out there being worked to find out the problems and i can say they are not that bad.
    I still like the Cummins better, an I6 will be better than a V8 for towing anyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

ford does make a nice ass truck they just need to stand behind them a little better and upgrade on problems instead of just pushing the numbers as big as they can.

when ford steps up and buys in to a good automatic transmission that they will stand behind I would probably buy another.

but for me its all about towing a huge amount of weight so it would be hard to go the auto route again.

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

yeah I agree.
    I drive a ford now because my company went with ford.
    Personnaly I like GM better but I think they can do better too.
    No one is likt the good old days, that's why I still drive a 1980 crewcab. And manual for towing for me too.

16. willyswanter

I was reading a post on one of the Ford diesel boards written by one of the guys on Fords diesel engine devolopment team and he says there going to switch over to a cummins power plant for the 2006 and newer or something like that... No idea how true it is but everyone there seemed to know him and believe him.