Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford vs GM Dana 60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jan 11, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

What's the difference between a Ford Dana 60 front versus a GM Dana 60 front? When looking for one, which should I look for? What should I expect to pay for a used one in decent condition?

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

At least on the older Fords, the differential was on the opposite side. [​IMG] I haven't paid enough attention to the new ones to notice if that has changed.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

The Ford D60 does center on the drivers side and you will need to use a Ford T-case to make this setup work. The advantage is the Ford D60 has a High Pinion for ground clearance and with the drive shaft on the drivers side it leaves easy access to the starter. This is the setup that I am using so I know that it works. Bill

<font color=red> Bill, "Shop Rat" </font color=red>
    http//community.webshots.com/user/bhughes85713

4. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

you can use a ford transfer case,or a np241 out of an ifs chevy,they too had a drivers side diff.

5. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Ford diff is high pinion but it is on the driver side. You will need a Ford T-case to run one. Not a probleem if you were going to get the doubler, because ORD can hook you up with a GM 203 to Ford 205 custom doubler. The Ford can not run 35 spline outers because (I think) the spindle is too narrow. But you can put GM knuckles, spindles, hubs and brakes on the Ford and then run 35 spline outers. You have to change them all because the Ford knuckle has five studs and the GM knuckle has six.

There's no situation in life so tragic that I can't look back on it and laugh, "Ha ha! Glad that didn't happen to ME!

6. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

the centersection is on the driverside i would stick with GM then it keeps it a basic swap!!

NO LOCKER, STOCK GEARS, NO PWR BRAKES, NO POWER STEERING, NO PROBLEM!

HIT IT FULL CHICKEN!!!!

7. AlaskaLimo

AlaskaLimo Registered Member

Isn't the high pinion just a reverse rotation ring &amp; pinion with the housing flipped upside-down? Maybe you could flip the housing on a gm d-60?

91 3/4 ton suburban 350 tbi

8. so are ford dana 60s any cheeper or more common at the junkyard? how about spring pad width?

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

No, it won't oil properly.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

10. NeutralMan

NeutralMan Registered Member

sprin pads are different from years earlly to late 70 and then the 80 go wide but i think chev frame different than for so you would have to move perchs
    (and 70-80 i think the perch on one side is cast to housing )

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The casting is different for a reverse rotation diff. The internal passageway that sends lube to the pinion bearings is different, to make sure the lube gets to where it needs to be.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

If you happen to find a Ford HP D60 I'd be happy to trade you housings and inner shafts for my Chevy stuff--you can keep the big dual piston calipers on the Ford. [​IMG]

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd