Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford Windstar Transmission...Easy?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Feb 8, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm looking at a '96 Windstar with a blown tranny. The van is in pretty nice shape, 77k. The owner was quoted over $1700 for the tranny job (I'm guessing remove and rebuild).

Anyone do something like this themselves? I'm thinking maybe I can pick up a junkyard tranny, and do this in my driveway. I've swapped engines or tranny's on my S10, old Dodge Polara, Cutlass, etc, all RWD, in my driveway or dirt parking area.
    When we had our '89 Grand Prix, I paid a guy to swap out the tranny, I wanted nothing to do with that FWD mess... Everyone said the front subframe and engine had to drop for the job and it couldn't be done without a lift.
    But now, I'm trying to save cash, so I'm thinking of maybe tackling it myself. And in retrospect, it seems like it might even be easier than the cramped, tight-angle-bolted RWD stuff I've done in the past.

I've done a little research, and the windstar looks good and reliable enough for what I want; mostly home depot runs, with more comfort than a truck to take stuff on long drives if I buy out of state property soon.

Any thoughts?

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

If its got the 3.8 watch out for those head gaskets.....

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's what I've read so far... The guy hasn't responded to me yet, so maybe it's a wash anyway...

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

also the intakes are a duel port setup and the 1 set of ports is computer controled and gets vary gumed up with carbon and freeze then big drivability problems. if not cleanable then new from deler. that dosnt incude the vasaline tho.