Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FOrd

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by soba, Jul 31, 2001.

1. soba

soba Registered Member

Ok i just needed to get your attention, now please forgive me , i drive a ford , a 78 bronco , and need help with it , now i know i should try post the question on the bronco page , but dammit , this site is huge , and filled with bad a$$es who know their stuff,. I 've been watching this page for a few months and man its phenomenal. Besides the 78bronco page has like two members in comparison and i know i'll at least get a response here. My baby is sick (the truck) and i need help. Ok here i go

The problem is I've got an oil leak , a bad one . Every time i am on the highway , or just under some form of load , i get oil freaking covering my entire oil filter, then it sprays onto my exhuast manifold and then just hurts my lungs. This occurs mostly at higher speeds , I changed the filter thinking perhaps it was that , nope. still does. It pisses me off . just don't know what it could be , The filter is located on the drivers side in front of the manifold. please help
    THanks
    Ruben

78 bronco 351M . C6 , Dana44, 9 inch, np205 32s

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Maybe you should get a GM. [​IMG] Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Did you check to make sure the gasket from the old oil filter wasn't still on there when you put the new one on?

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

3. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

A f*%d driver...........................Oh Shiznet. Whats this place coming to? Steve, I want my money back. Oh, thats right I haven't sent any for membership yet.[​IMG]

Really tho, the only thing I can think of is maybe there is a seal off of a old filter stuck on the sealing surface that is causing the problem. Other than that I don't have a clue. But I bet someone else on this board will. Good luck with your baby.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

4. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the return line from the filter is partially plugged. Are you running a high-volume oil pump? Regardless, it sounds like more oil is going through the filter than can get back into the engine. It might even be a little further up the line, eg one of the main oil passages is plugged. Either way, I'd look into ways to clean the block. I wouldn't recommend running high-detergent oil, because it may dissolve any "False seals" that have formed over the years. I don't know whether the 351 has any oiling probs in the design. Hope this helps.

Email: littlepig@keepandbeararms.com

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have had a similar problem, turned out that my oil pan bolts were loose, covered the bottom of my Blazer in an oil slick. The oil pan bolts are an easy place to start and won't cost anything to repair, if that doesn't do the trick try some of the other recomendations here.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

6. soba

soba Registered Member

Wow , here five minutes three responses , it takes days on the bronco page , i did clean the filter screw threads and cleaned around it but there wasn't any old gasket when i put it on . The M block engines supposedly have oiling probs but on the main bearing , it may be a clogges drain valve but the enginge was just rebuilt maybe 3 years ago . hmm

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A word of caution. Oil on the exhaust manifold and then elsewhere is a good recipe for a fire, not that getting one more Phord of the road would be a bad thing...........sorry couldn't resist [​IMG][​IMG]. P.S. Check the front and rear crank seals, as well as the oil pan gasket. It may be leaking and finding it's way to the oil filter (lowest point), just a thought, not too familiar with Phords.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

8. soba

soba Registered Member

OH man that was wrong j/k

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Just curious, how did you hear about CK5? I just read your profile, you have a 67 Camaro? I used to have one a few years back, here is a pic of it, sweet cars: <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/temp/camaro.jpg>http://coloradok5.com/temp/camaro.jpg</a>

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

10. soba

soba Registered Member

my cousin found the page using my comp so the page is a direct link. I actually know more about blazers that ford, ( bad for me) I helped my cousin do a frame swap on his 82 diesel k5 so i've seen the in an outs of a k5 while i've barely donve anything to mine, i've only had the bronco for a year though

11. soba

soba Registered Member

i've even got a colorado k5 tshirt , ironic isn't it

12. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

sweeeeet camaro!!!!!

13. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I've got a '73 Camaro I'm rebuilding now too!!

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

14. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

sweeeeet tooo!!!

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I had a similar problem on my Camaro. The filter neck/mount was a 90 degree angled flange/adapter that bolted onto the motor, the filter didn't go directly on. I had it leaking around the engine flange and through the bolt hole. The adapter itself was aluminum, and somehow warped and no longer sat flush against the engine, so a new one from the junkyard and a new gasket solved the problem in about 30 minutes. I had to drive it 180 miles home before any repair could be made, though...

Good Luck!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**

16. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard anyway. We'l help you fix it so you can sell it and get a Blazer[​IMG] J/K..

What you have there is a leak through your oil-pressure sending unit. Just get under there with a flashlight while the motor is running, and you will see oil streaming out through the brass-male connection on the sender.

Now if I got it right I win a prize, right ?[​IMG]

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>