Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ford

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

2. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I just found out this morning that he passed.. unfortunately, since he only served a partial term, he didn't get to do much. seems like he spent a lot of time trying to clean up everyone elses mess.

RIP.

Found this on About.com:

Events and Accomplishments of Gerald Ford’s Presidency:

One month after taking over the presidency, Ford pardoned Nixon. This caused a lot of controversy but Ford claimed he did it to save the nation from the prospect of a long, messy, and divisive trial.

In 1974, President Ford also offered clemency to those who evaded the draft during the Vietnam War if they would swear allegiance and perform two years of public service. Similarly, those who deserted during the war could return for two years in the branch they left to achieve clemency. However, Ford was criticized both by those who felt he was being to easy on the draft dodgers and those who had avoided the service because they felt they were in the right.

In 1974, Ford asked for aid to be sent to South Vietnam as fighting had resumed. Congress would not agree. In April 1975, Saigon fell and by 1976, North and South Vietnam were united into one country.

Ford escaped two assassination attempts, both by women. First on September 5, 1975, Lynette Fromme, a follower of Charles Manson, pointed a gun at him but did not fire. She was convicted of attempting to assassinate the president and sentenced to life in prison.

The second attempt on Ford's life occurred on September 22, 1975 when Sara Jane Moore fired one shot that was deflected by a bystander. Moore was trying to prove herself to some radical friends with the assassination of the president. She was convicted of attempted assassination and sentenced to life in prison.

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

He was from the Grand Rapids area, here in Mi. I heard today on ESPN he was the most athletic president we had, playing football and such on some collegiate team.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

No big loss there.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yea supposibly the only all american athlete president.

he is being buried in GR in the north lawn of the presidential museum.

that said, im sick of hearing it on the TV. everyone that had ever cought a glimpse of him for anything ever is on every station in GR saying what they seen him do and how great he was. he was before my time, but all the TV stuff can be saved for the actual funeral service.

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Excuse me!?!?!!!!!!!

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

President Ford was a good president. He just got a bum rap because he pardoned Nixon and tripped getting off Air force 1.
    I remember Chevy Chase got his start in comedy imitating President Ford falling down all over the place.

Ford was an honest man who loved America. He pardoned Nixon because he did not want to see America dragged thru the mud with a presidential criminal trial.

He took an economy with double digit inflation and a 9% unemployment rate. Cut taxes turned it around and got it back on track. Cut inflation to 4% and dropped unemployment to 6%

Negotiated with Russia signed the Salt treaty reducing the amount of nukes. while taking a firm stand to stop Soviet expansion.
    He stood up to Cambodia when they seized one of out merchant ships and crew. He bombed the crap out of them and sent in the Marines. They released the ship and crew unharmed.

If he hadn't of pardoned Nixon he probably would have won the 1976 election. It was a close election He only lost by a couple of points. But the press made a big deal out of him pardoning Nixon. So that stupid peanut farmer Carter won. Then things really went to crap

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Good post thunder.. I didn't know any of that stuff.. except for the "carter won, things really went to crap".. that, I am old enough to remember..

Tom

9. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Any relation to that egghead Michael Moore?

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

The only thing I can argue with you is Jimmy Carter is not stupid by any means. I don't align myself with any one party as I go with who I think is the better. I am saddened by President Fords' death and wish him God's Speed.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You are totally right........... my mistake.... Carter is not stupid... Foolish, was the word I should have used.