Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Forged or Cast Alloy Wheel's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Don, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Forged or Cast Alloy Wheel\'s?

What are Your pro's/con's on Forged Aluminum Wheel's, vs. Cast Aluminum Wheel's?

I know Forged Wheel's Are stronger but for a daily driver, and a weekend wheeler, what are Your opinion's on the two?

Thank's in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Forged or Cast Alloy Wheel\'s?

Magazine did a crazy test on the two (think it was car craft) maybe a year ago.

Forged are easier to repair, basically because less damage is done when they get screwed up.

IIRC, the test involved driving X feet with no tire on the wheel, then having a shop try and fix the wheel.

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

My take:

forged wheels will bend a bit before actually "tearing" and a bent wheel can be straightened, a "torn" wheel can sometimes be welded and straightened. But they usually cost about twice as much as a cast wheel.

Cast wheels (when whacked) will crack and break chunks off... The chunks cannot be welded back on (safely) because of the chitty pot metal that was used in the first place (kinda like welding cast iron)

My personal choice (while still keeping with some bling bling) is to just go with a less expensive (cast) wheel that is narrow enough to wear you won't have to worry about smacking it too regularly.

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Thank's Blazinaire, that's what I was looking for.