Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fork lift orbital valve for hydraulic steering on my K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Apr 2, 2005.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I just finished my hydraulic assist setup and it works well, though it is extremely slow. A friend of mine stopped by to look at it and said he is scrapping a fork truck with hydraulic steering. He offered me the steering so I could convert to full hydro. Will the steering valve from the fork truck work on my Blazer or should I just pass on the offer? I'm planning on adding a zero rate up front and moving my axle foreward 1.5" so my drag link might end up contacting the leaf spring (BDS 6" pack = really thick!) Eliminating the mechanical link would free up a lot of room and maybe shave some front end weight. :cool1:

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

umm, do you still wanna be street legal? if not go with full hydro but the rams are big $$$$

3. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Uh.... I don't know much about hydro steering, but if U can get the valve & the steering ram that is 80% of what U need for full hyd. steering. And yes, it's not street leagle. I would LOVE to get my hands on the valve and ram from a Hyster (I drive one alot @ work) to put on my trail rig :D :D

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The big matched set things are expensive. If he gets a forklift valve, Tractor Supply Ram, and uses a stock style pump it will be cheap. Won't be as responsive or fast as the high dollar setups though.

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I already have cross over with hydro assist so I have the ram and lines. My rig isn't even close to street legal anyways. I was just thinking it was an option. It is possible, right?

6. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Yes, I know a guy who did it all with Hyster parts (even the pump) and as I understan it a dual end cyl. like a Hyster uses is the ideal ram to use for it.

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

You need a double ended ram, or another ram just like what you have now. Or else you will have different lock-lock turns with a single ended ram.