Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Forklift accident?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Mar 5, 2007.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Wondering if anyone has ever been involved in one, either driving, or bystander? Injury, serious loss of property?

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've seen interesting things happen when a person drives one of these without brakes, and forks instead of a bucket...
    [​IMG]

But it was in a junkyard, so the damage usually went unnoticed...

As an occasional driver, I may have had some accidents in it, too.

3. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Several years ago a shift supervisor at Arctic Cat had his foot run over. Completely crushed it, amputation was the only option. This was a small inside lift, capacity of about 3000lbs.
    George

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have not seen one major in person. I did have a guy in my old shop put the blade of a 8K rated Hyster (indoor lift) through a 5" thick concrete tiltup wall. I didn't see it but at my old constuction company a guy had his work truck smashed by an extending boom (gradall, lull) style forklift. The boom came down right across the passenger comparment and crushed the truck. Thankfully nobody was inside otherwise they would have been killed.

Harley

5. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I may or may not have run the forks through some spendy merchandise at home depot when I worked there. Nothing major, no danger to anyone, just switching between two styles of machines, and they steer opposite each other

6. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

When I was in the Marines, I was sent to TAD (temporary assigned duty) at a warehouse. Had to work over the weekend. The crew put super soap on the floor, would get a run at the wet/slippery area and just before getting there turn hard L or R and then S L L L I I I I I I D E along. It was all fun until someone stuck the forks through the outside wall of the building.

Good Times

I also knew a guy who worked at a warehouse. They were required to open and close the door each time they went in or out. The good drivers could do it with their forks. One day this guy hooked his forks under the door like a thousand times before and began to lift. Before he could release the handle the door had buckled and was ripped off the rollers. He got fired.

Good Times

7. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

I have never had one,but I did see a Nissan forklift after it had ran out of the back of a ryder truck that was sitting on a hill at a red light.:doah:

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

When I was 20 I was standing there at work when this super cool old guy walked out of the office with his arms full of his retirement party cake and he was ran over by a very large fork lift. That is all I care to say about what I saw with my eye's that day.

9. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I used to work at American Furniture in Denver, HUGE furniture warehouse.
    The one on I25. They have shelves inside that are 60 feet tall with couches and such on them. Well, lets just say, does a fullsize sleeper sofa make a noise when hitting concrete from 60 feet up?

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

A buddy of mine used to work at Sam's Club when the sound of a big tube style television crashing to the ground from the very top of one of their racks. He said it made a rather distinctive sound as the law of gravity was once again proved.

11. garlicbreath

12. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This topic puts a smile on my face reliving memories,I will try to keep it short! Between 16 and 21 worked in mail wharehouse and these are the stories.
    #1 Hit a Ibeam shook the building broke a fork
    #2 Partially fell thru floor on trailer
    #3 Stuck forks thru walls of trailer
    #4 Collapsed gear while forklift is trailer
    #5 Head on accident with another forklift
    #6 Various snow adventures in the parking lot culminating in hitting my on car
    #7 Hitting another forklift while carrying a @3000 lbs bale of compter end paper! {this was funny for days as there was a mini snow storm inside, also took 6 hours to clean up)
    #8 Fire trucks show up as I was cleaning radiator out with fire hose
    #9 Picking unsuspecting cute co workers cars up and moving them around the parking lot
    ANNNNDDDDDD #10 Going out for a dinner break coming back and my forklift that I left on loading dock is now hanging mid-air between a trailer and the dock with the bay door on top of it!!!!! Postal driver took wrong trailer !

13. garlicbreath

14. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Before making my living with computers, I worked for a living. I drove lifts and was a certified trainer for lift drivers. I have seen a few BAD accents before and allot of funny ones.

1- never drive a lift carrying 4000lbs+ in to a pup trailer. You may just stand the trailer on its nose.

2- never have a trailer pull away from the dock as your lift is exiting the trailer.

3- AWAYS keep your hands, fingers, arms, feet, head etc.. inside the lift.

4- never turn sharply at speed in a 16000lbs turret lift. Picking the lift back is a PITA.

5- Beware of night shift lift drivers. They may be asleep, driving the lift.

6- beware of new lift drivers, that claim to have 20+ years experience driving lifts. They will hit something…hard.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  15. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

When I worked for Home Depot years ago there was this lift called a Cherry Picker where you and the platform you stand on raises.

I was backing up one day and accidently took out a big wire spool device that collects wire from a master spool in the electrical department.
    Smashed it flat! And I was only going approx. 2 MPH.

I had to go pee in a cup the next day.

16. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Skidder - The ORIGINAL NorthWest Monster Trucks

17. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I work in the safety industry (for a construction company) and have witnessed some bad accidents, almost all are very stupid preventable accidents. I have also seen many pictures of forklift accidents with stories to back. I have seen everything from people rolling the lift of a loading dock, for multiple reasons. One guy didnt chock the wheels on a trailer, when he drove out the trailer shifted causing him and the lift to go down hard. Luckily the guy was ok. Another incident involved A man who was unloading large pieces of precast concrete, if you have ever seen a large piece of precast then you will know how heavy these can get (anywhere from 2,000-3,000lbs. per panel.) Anyways, the truck driver was removing his straps as the forktruck driver misplaced his forks and as the panel was lifted, it shifted causing 3 panels to slide of the truck and onto the truck driver on the other side of the trailer. Trust me, it was a mess. Quick death, but guy did not have a chance in hell. I have ALOT of stories relating to forktruck accidents, as well as many just relating to general construction.

18. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

I work in a massive food warehouse and run stand up lifts all day. There was a guy that was working for another division that somehow ran into a steel beam, His leg was somehow outside the lift and he crushed his pelvis.

I have not had any serious issues, But i can tell you 5 gallon boxes of Coke syrup explode when they hit the ground from 40-50 feet.

19. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I had a forklift on two wheels this summer. I was reaaaal close to flopping it.

20. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Many years ago, I watched a lift drive drop a pallet of cooking oil from 35' up. it was in the middle of the shift in a very large food warehouse. For the rest of the night it was chaos in the isle.