Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Formula racecar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Triaged, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

We just got our school's formula SAE web page back up. If you guys want to take a look here it is
    http://www.csupomona.edu/~fsae/

We are well underway in the building of the 2003 car. I am the suspension team leader.

As always we are looking for sponsers /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif (and it is tax deductable /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif !)

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Looks cool Dan! What bike motor are you guys using? There is a "bike engined car" email list on Yahoo. It's mainly guys in England building some Lotus Super 7 replicas with bike motors...pretty cool stuff. Check 'em out here:
    Bike engined cars

3. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I know a lot of Legends cars (different from what you're doing) are using FJ1200 engines, but your engine doesn't look like one. That looks like a lot of fun, have to say I'm a little envious of your project.
    Have fun

4. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif what up dan haven't seen you since hollister good to see you are still around!!!!

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Our previous cars all had honda cbr600's
    Our 2000 car was using a electric supercharged fuel injected F2.
    For our new 2003 car we will be using suzk gsxr600 with fuel injection and a full titanimum exhaust.

Thanks for the link to the yahoo group. Sounds like fun. I plan on building one of these things for myself after I get out of school. When we were in England for the 2000 compition (which we won!) we saw some cars like what you mention.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'm still around...just working to much at school and the formula car.

I still haven't had time to replace that tranny seal...there is a drip pan full to the rim with ATF under my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif I plan on having it ready by newyears if we are going to do something then.

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

We're gonna do something alright! I'm hoping that we end up out at Truck Haven Hills again. That place is a blast!
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

9. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

sweet!
    i'd love to take the fuel injected one for a spin when its done, i've done a lot of work with my schools formula car, we stopped competiting years ago and switched to the hybrid scene, but we still have an old one, it has a ninja zx6 motor in it, that thing is sick..

i used it for a graduate class in vehicle dynamics, we set up a full autocross course and put accelerometers on it, along with a laptop and a data acquistion system..

it allowed us to make gi-gi plots for each drive to see who could get it to the limit conditions and keep it there, unfortunately ours handles a lot like a 911, get it at the limit in a turn and do anything and you spin out...
    but man o man are those cars fun...

just dont get pulled over, i got stopped by the cops once for driving it, no lights, not supposed to be on the road...he only partially accepted the "testing" exuse, so he made me push it back to our lab...
    but i didnt get in trouble so it was all good...

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

We ran a full date aqu. on our 2000 car.
    g-g
    oil
    rpm
    speed
    the hole 9 yards.
    At least we knew why we blew those 5 motors!...including one at the compiton...no oil...we were pulling too many g's to keep the oil in the bottom of the pan. When that motor went at the compition everyone thought we were out of the compition because we were at the local pub by 8pm (motor blew at 4!). I got alot of condolances the next day...then I told them we wern't out of the race...we just swapped the motor in 3 hours . I think the final solution with the oiling problem worked out well because we haven't blown that last motor in the past 3 years of abuse.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Here are the competetions my school participates in...I'm getting involved in both projects.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then I might see you there. You won't be able to miss our car. It will be the only one with "really big wings".

Odd enough I have 2 trucks and like to offroad yet the baja team never interisted me. I think it is because they don't engineer anything. They just build some non-triangulated lump of tubbing they call a chassis and bolt that 10hp briggs &amp; statton into it...BORING!

Our formula car uses a F1 style semi-automatic shifter, and a electric S/C and a hell of a lot of downforce! That is my kind of fun.

13. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Most all the serious guys in England are adding oil sumps the bike engined cars forthat reason, most are mounted sideways from a normal bike though, which makes it worse.

14. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'd have to agree with you about the simplicity of the baja vehicle. Although it's something I'd never be able to put together on my own, it's far from being the engineering marvel that the formula 1 car is. The formula 1 car is amazing. Onboard computer - they actually do stuff to the engine/engines (mods, dyno, rebuilds) - there is just way too much cool stuff to list. I can't wait 'til I get fully involved in the competition. I probably won't go this year because I've only gone to two meetings and one shop session, but next year and the year after that, I'm thinking of being a team leader - suspension sounds good. Well, maybe that won't be a good idea - if I'm suspension leader, we'll end up with a half formula 1, half baja car. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

We have a drysump we plan to put on this year to keep the motors happy.

16. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth 1/2 ton status

Just out of curiosity what sort of budgets do you guys at the big /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif schools get to work with??

I joined my schools team for a couple weeks, but never followed through with it. I soon learnt that I would rather spend my spare time AWAY from university, and preferably in the mountains with my /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

Whats with the "rock-crawling" competition that goes on in the SAE Baja competition?? One of the teams gave a presentation in one of my design classes and they were talking about some rock-crawling competition. I'm having trouble imagining a 2wd buggy doing any *crawling* whatsoever.

17. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Budget...what do you mean budget...we don't have no stinking budget.

Here, read this article - it tells a little more about the vehicle (like 0-60 in 3.3 seconds) and also the cost is given about half-way down.
    http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~wiscengr/issues/nov00/sae.html
    (Triaged, no using this as "spy" info.) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as baja rock crawling goes...I haven't heard of that part of the competition. All that our baja vehicle does is race around a dirt/mud track and catch air a lot.

18. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth 1/2 ton status

Man it must be sweet to have access to the materials and equipment you guys get to use!!

Didn't Western Washington build their own V8 in house??

I guess thats what I get for paying 2000CND a symmester.

From what I heard, there are a few different competition classes in the SAE Baja competion, East &amp; West and something else I think. Its only one of them that has the rock-crawling part..

19. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

We get about $2500 from various departments at our school. We have 1 sponser so far this year. Yoshimura has given us 2 motors, use of their dyno and any other stuff we need (our mock-up header is stainless /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ). It is nice having one part of the car taken care of ($$$ wise...the motor guys are taking forever to get that stupid thing running). We will have to find other ways to pay for stuff when that $$$ is spent (it won't be long). I will be happy if I get out of it without spending more then $2000 of my own $$$.