Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fouling Plugs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Nov 10, 2000.

My beast keeps fouling sparkplugs every two months or so, what could be causing this?

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

1. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Gas or oil causing them to foul? My last motor burned oil sooo bad, that a drive to my favorite camping spot would foul them. And that's only a four hour drive! If it's oil, your rings are most likely done, and you will most likely need a rebuild, or new motor. If it's gas, make sure your choke is working properly(if it sticks you could get a running rich effect) and make sure the carb is adjusted properly. Change you air cleaner to make sure your getting sufficient air flow. And make sure you have the right plugs for your application. Good luck, and I hope this helps!

2. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

If it is oil fouling, check the valve guides first. The fix isn't too difficult and you may get another 50,000 miles out of it.

3. Sorry I'm a novice...Valve Guides?

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

The valve stems have little seals (rubber), and a bushing that can leak oil into the cylinder from the heads, that could foul up the plugs(that's the best way I can describe it). Are all the plugs getting fouled at once? Usually if it's the heads or rings causing problems, they don't all screw up at once. If it's all of them, look for a rich condition from the carb. Those Haynes/Chiltons manuals have color pictures that help troubleshoot these kind of plug problems.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you get the ol' "Puff O' Blue" when you first start your truck, chances are your valve seals(guides) are shot....

6. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

I've got 180,000 on my original motor ... just started to puff at start up. I know I'm eventually looking at replacing the motor, but it runs so strong, I'm tempted to replace the oil seals.

Do you think I'm wasting my time?

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I have a '74 that uses oil badly. It was fouling plugs in a bout 60 miles. I added and HEI ignition that has an MSD circuit board inside (from a swap meet) and Bosch platinum plugs. It doesn't foul at all now. I was truly amazed. I'm sure my seals and rings are pretty shot, but like backlash says it still runs really well. I've got about 150,000 miles on it.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

8. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

mine does that except every couple of weeks, I just change
    them...probaly not the smarest thing to do,

..........and one time at band camp.........

9. Daveytree

Daveytree Registered Member

One quick temporary fix will cost about 6.00. They are called Spark Plug Defoulers. Napa auto parts has them. What it is is basically a spacer and a cover that threads into your spark plug hole in the block, and then the spark plug threads into that. It is inexpensive, and alot easier than changing out plugs all the time.