Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found a 400 block in my backyard

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PetaKane, Jul 25, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Okay so it's a little rusty 'n whatnot. Can I take a block and build a mean little motor out of it? Do most parts from a 350 fit on a 400? Or would it be a waste tryin to build one, if I can just save a little longer and get a crate motor from GM?

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Most parts from a 350 will fit. If you use 350 heads you need to drill the steam holes, you will need an oil pump drive shaft from a 400 because there is some machine done on them for clearancing, and you will need a 400 balancer and flywheel because they are externally balanced as opposed to internal balanced like other small blocks. Hopefully you have the crank, rods, and main caps (in original places)

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Great find! Companies like Speed-O-Motive sell some trick rotating assemblies for the 400. I had only a 400 block when I started and ended up a 415ci with their stroker kit. Theres nothing quite like part throttle up an insane incline with this much torque, sounds like a Panzer Tank.

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Absolutely, you can make it as mean or as mild as you want it. But if your'e like me it will end up on the mean side /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif . Like borregok5 said, when I had my weak ass stock 350 in my truck it was all that it would do to pull it's own butt up a steep incline, but now I have to be careful because if I gas it too much it will either take off and get going too fast or what happens most of the time start spinning and throwing mud, rocks, etc. back down the hill at whoever is behind me.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i wish i could find one in my back yard. might help to cut the grass more often.

nathan

6. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Lol, it was actually my parents backyard. They've got close to 200 acres, so there is crap all over the land. My brother told me about it last week when I went to visit them. They've got these little shack/shed type things all over the place, with tons of old junk.My brother had to get some parts off the old lawn tractor and had to search about 6 sheds before he found the right one. Said he found an old 305 or something and he wanted to put it in his S-10. We went to go get it later on that night and brought it up to the shed. My buddy Gary was with me and he told me it's a 400. So now the process begins. I'm gonna go ahead and build it mean as I can. Any suggestions on camshaft, what kinda heads to use (Vortecs?) keepin it able to run on 87 octane without any problems, and can I use my shiny practically brand new headers that I've got on my 350 right now? Thanks y'all for all the help

7. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Like someone suggested earlire, go to speed o motive. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I would bring it a machine shop first and have it cleaned and have cylinders checked. if all looks good, go for it. speed o motive is a good place for 400 parts. klein racing engines also. good find though!!

9. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Before you do anything else, I would run the engine number to be sure it really is a 400