Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found a 454 at the junkyard..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Feb 6, 2005.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i found a 454 in a mid 80's burb today... i was walking past it on my way out of the junkyard, and i saw the offset rockers staring at me.. I NEVER see Big Blocks in the junkyards around here. Priced it out, it would be $175 out the door for the longblock with 3 accessories. (starter, water pump, ps pump, alternator)
    Went back and spun over the motor with a breaker bar to make sure it seemed ok.. The tranny was gone, so all i had to pull was the motor mounts and the exhaust bolts, and wheel one of the engine hoists over to the truck..
    Then i ripped off the oil pan and found it was only a 2 bolt main.. my heart sunk. I then called my friend on my cell phone and had him look up the casting numbers, the block was a '77-85 block (probably the original '84-'85 suburban engine), but the heads were a '67-'68 396/427 head.. 101cc closed chamber.. so whats up with that, must have had a problem and gotten rebuilt heads.
    If this thing was a 4 bolt main it would be in the back of my truck right now..
    So whats the going rate on a 2 bolt 454 BBC? is this thing worth $175? should i go back down there tommorow, and turn around and sell it for $500 making a few hundred bucks? anyone need a 454? :grin:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You don't need 4 bolt mains for normal use , not even normal drag racing , maybe for high rpm's or extended racing . Just run good arp studs and be done with it if its for street machine or wheeler :D

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dude buy it now and get remained and add 4 bolt caps from aftermarket.if that bothers you that much. like above 4 bolt only for extended high hp or rpm use. if i was out there i would get it my self.

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

2 BOLTS will work fine but if you WANT 4 bolts get em. chevy stock 2 bolts have been tested up to 500 hp with no problems.

5. Ryan B.

Yah the whole deal is I have TunedPortInjection on my K/5 right now and the only way i'd drop a BBC in there now is if i had MPFI on it.. because i'm spoiled with my TPI :cool1: ..$$$$. So my other plans were to build a 7.5:1 motor for this 6-71 blower i have in my garage and drop it in my camaro.. Thats why i passed on buying this 2 bolt main.
    So should i make some money off it since i spent an hour pulling it? Is it desirable even with an '85 block and '67 heads?

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

You'd better go get it or I might! Kidding....I would love to drop a BBC in my Blazer, but no room in the shop right now:mad:

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

$175 and you didn't buy it? get back there now.
    the little local jy had a running 454 from a bookmobile once... for $1400.:rolleyes::eek:
    however that might be their "dumb college kid" price for me. but I did get a front D60 there for $150, so I'm not sure.
    that is a good price!

8. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

A strange fact from the life of Allan (me)... out of ALL the 454's that Ive had and ran or sold as cores and have passed through my garage, I have not yet been in possession of a 4-bolt main. From what I understand, most of the 4-bolt blocks are going to be earlier... like pre-75 truck motors. Most 454s I guess after 76 were 2-bolts.

I just had a '74 454 block. A friend ran the numbers and said it was a truck block, and said it would be a good chance of it being a 4-bolt main. I pulled the pan and it was only a 2.

To me though, it doesnt matter to much. I'll never "need" a 4-bolt main, but if I get one I'll hang onto it.

I say, for the price, get it if you still can.

9. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

The only 4 bolt big blocks I have run across are 88-91 trucks with the gen 4 big block and early 70's camper special trucks rated for 11,000 GVW. The camper specials came with a forged crankshaft, the heavy duty 3/8 push rods, and large oval port heads with 118cc combustion cambers. If were you buy and resale. Here in Texas I have not been able touch a core big block with accessory for less than 250-450.

bigred81

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

the decision is unanimous..... buy that mofo!:saweet: :thumb: :eek1: :cool1:

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Grab it and ship it up my way....

12. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have an '88 454 block here out of a 1-ton and its just a 2-bolt main. I also have one out of a late '80's tow truck, and its just 2-bolt also. I pulled one out of a '74 Crew Cab 2wd and it was a 2-bolt main. It must be just me that 4-bolts never get to.

I pull apart ALOT of stuff that doesnt match. Its amazing what blocks you find in rigs, and what heads you find on blocks that dont match originally.

A friend picked up a '73 3/4 ton 2wd truck with a 454, and it turned out to have a steel crank. Unsure yet on if its a 4 or 2 bolt till they pull the pan.

454 cores here go for $500 as long as they are rebuildable.

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i know i've heard this statement for small blocks, does it hold true for BB too? since they'd probly make alot more torque than a SB . i know on a SB you can machine the block for splayed caps , which makes it alot stronger than a stock 4bolt. do they make that for a BB too? if so, sounds like the ideal core for boosting. i'd toss the heads anyway if your putting a blower on it. put some good AFR heads and do it up right.

14. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Get it!!! its worth something to you for pulling it out. Weither you use it or resell it

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Is It Worth It?????? Wtf!!!!

175 BUCKS!!:eek1: :eek1: ---any junkyard near me would want at LEAST 500 bucks,just for a core!!--I would not pass it up for that price,you have nothing to loose,the older heads are probably worth that alone to the right person!--you cant buy a 250 six or a 305 for that price here!--I'd RUN,not walk back there and get it!--if you decide its not for you,I'm sure you could double your money easily,especially if you can make it run!....
    And I would not worry about 4 bolt mains in any chevy motor,I think they are overrated--ALL motors can spin a bearing,regardless of how many bolts are holding them--I've seen plenty of 4 bolt main 350's in the boneyards with a rod hanging out the side,and ALL motors have only 2 bolts on the rods!!!(they usually fail first!)..Unless your running a top fueler with a blower,I doubt a 4 bolt main will last any longer than a 2 bolt...:crazy:

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah a 454 in a yard would be at least 4 or 5 times that much here

rarely ever see one that makes it to a yard unless they got it through a city or county tow/abandonment of some kind

good luck

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Buy the sucker, put in the Milodon splayed caps and have a lower end that is stronger than a straight 4 bolt main. For the price you are going to pay to pull it and have it machined, you are still getting the motor cheaper than you can buy a core around here.

18. Ryan B.

got it.

well i went back after a day had passed.. found the engine hoists empty. :(
    Then i asked one of the guys, and he said someone needed to use the hoist and the engine was probably dropped somewhere on the ground.. i walked around a little and found the BBC in the engine compartment of an import... HAHAHA... looked kinda funny.. but i'd drive it! :D
    So i went to buy it and the dude said it was more than 3 accessories... the intake and two exhaust manifolds counted. and i still had the ps pump, water pump, alternator, starter...
    He said i had to buy it as complete... a whopping $20 more... $195 instead of $175.. So i said fine but i'm going to find the rest of the stuff to make it complete then..
    So back out into the junkyard i went... and didn't come back until i had: a quadrajet carb, an hei cap to complete the dist. Some good 8mm plug wires that i need to replace on my k5... and a YORK 210 compressor... "uh yah thats the a/c compressor i took off" :D
    So i think i made out pretty good. The engine is for sale locally unless it gets no calls and i decide to keep it and build it. :D