Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found a Dana 60 - have some questions......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2Blazer, Sep 6, 2002.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I went and looked at a '77 K30 single rear wheel truck last night and have a couple of quick questions.

First, the Dana 60 does not have locking hubs rather it just has what appears to be full-time hubs (looks about the same as the old full-time Dana 44's). Can you just swap in locking hubs without any other problems?

Gear ratio - I couldn't verify gear ratio but it should be 4.10, possibly 4.56, right? From what I have heard, 1-tons had at least 4.10's.

Tranny and t-case - it's a four speed truck, assuming it's a SM465. My friend who looked at the truck, and is fairly knowledgible, said it was a 205 transfer case. I didn't get a good look under it because it was getting dark and was sitting in the weeds. Is there any chance it's a rare 465/203 combo since it has full-time hubs and the transfer case shifter looks the same as other 203 equipped trucks I have seen???

Any help would be appreciated.

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

1. Those are drive flanges, and yes, you can swap in the lockout hubs (keep the drive flanges for spares).
    2. Gear ratio - pull the cover and read the numbers on the ring gear. Do the math and you'll know the ratio.

Good luck!

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Locking hubs will go right on that front end just as easily as a D44. The ratio could also be a 3.73 but most likely is 4.10.

Being a full time truck it should have originally had a 465/203 combo in it, but it's always possible it's been swapped for a 205.

FYI - the older D60's have inner axles that taper down in the middle, these can be replaced with the fatter, non-tapering axles. This is no reason to pass on a good front end, just didn't want you to have any suprises if you get it.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

So when you say "older" Dana 60's, would the '77 model qualify under this category? How much does the taper effect the strength as compared to a non-taper shaft? Any idea on how much the non-taper shafts would cost?

I get the complete truck pretty cheap, but I just don't want to get in a situation where I have to drop a ton a money into the Dana 60 just to have a decent axle.

5. nvrenuf

The "older" D60's that have the tapering axles are 77 (first year for Chevy D60) thru 80 (not 100% sure that 80 is included, maybe just 79). I've only known one guy that had an axle like this, it was in a Dodge with an open diff and 44's, and he never broke one. I don't really think it would be a big issue, it was a surprise to me when I saw them the first time so I thought I'd pass it on. The non-tapered axles are under $100 each so you wont have to sell your soul if by chance you did break one.

I would not let this stop you from buying the axle. They don't make D60's like these (open knuckle/king pin style) anymore so they're all worth getting. I'd definitely get it if I were you! Congrats on the D60! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

So i'm guessing these tapered axles are still substantially stronger than the standard Dana 44 or 10-bolt axle shaft (which have the taper also). I've never broken a 30-spline 10-bolt front shaft after years of pretty hard wheeling with 35's and posi, though a few u-joints have bit the dust.

I can get the complete truck for $750 (it runs and drives but is not road worthy), so I'm not too concerned.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

That's something new I've never heard of.......465/205 truck with full time drive flange hubs. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif The only drive flange on any truck with a 465 I know of would be the '74 year with the 465/203 full time set up.

Any truck from the factory with a 465 should have lockouts.

If a truck has the solid hub flanges, it would more likely have a 203 t-case.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

just be 100% sure it has the 60 in it
    great deal if it does

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The necked down section on the early 60 shaft is about the same diameter as a constant-diameter aftermarket D44 shaft. Here is a pic of a stock early inner and outer vs. the late inner with a 35 spline outer -

[​IMG] </font color>

10. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

I'm by no means an expert but with those hubs that are in there one would assume a full time four wheel drive?ok. Isn't an NP208 a full time transfer case?

Purely a question for my knowledge as well...

11. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

a np208 is not a full time transfer case. the np203 is the full time transfer case yer thinkin bout. later

jacob

12. nvrenuf

The 208 is strickly a part time case. By the time the 208 was introduced (1981) the big 3 manufacturers had completely phased out the full time set ups. Quite often the 208 did come on trucks equipped with automatic locking hubs so (while actually part time) that might give the appearance of a full time set up.

Hope this helps.

13. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

"D60's that have the tapering axles are 77 (first year for Chevy D60) thru 80"

Does that mean that there were no 1 ton 4x4's before 77?

14. nvrenuf

I think it was here that I read the first year GM used the D60 was 77. I don't know if that means that prior to 77 there were no K30's or if there were K30's but they had D44's.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've seen trucks advertised as K30s that had model years earlier than '77, they have all had D44s. Not sure if they were misreresented as one tons, but I believe that they were real one tons and just had D44s. </font color>

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

'77 was the first year for the K30.

'77 also marked the year GM changed their design on a lot of the parts and hardware, hence the "second design".

I have never seen nor heard of a K30 from '73 to '76. K20 was the largest 4x4 production truck you could get in those years.

There were 1 tons available from '73 to '76, but only in the 2wd (C30) versions.

I have seen the '67 to '72 trucks labeled as K30's but never seen the fender emblem. Those I saw that were "claimed" to be K30's only had a D44 for the front axle. Didn't see any difference between these "so-called" K30's from a K20. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

So, it boils down to '77 as the absolute FIRST YEAR that the K30 was available. The main and big attraction of the '77 K30 was the Big Dooley, in the crew cab version. Regular cab and SRW were not the main focus when the K30 came out. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

17. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

That was my thought also. The guy who said it was a 205 has a lot of experience when it comes to working on trucks and fourwheeling, but isn't really a big Chevy guru. I should have looked closer but didn't feel like crawling through 2 foot weeds, anyway my main concern was the Dana 60. My guess is that the truck is original, the current owner (who is the second owner) bought it around '85 or so and never did anything to it. I guess we will find out for sure when I go pick it up.

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the pictures. I'm guessing you bought the later model shafts to replace the tapered ones in the Dana 60 you are building? If so, can you let me know where you bought the shafts and how much they cost?

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Nope, I spent half an hour searching for a picture that I knew I'd seen somewhere. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif My 60 is an 87 model so it came with the thicker shafts. I have priced them out, they are generally around $99 from any drivetrain store. You can get the new HD Mosers for about $400 a set.</font color>

20. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

My dad has a 1978 Chevy 1 ton dually 4x4 he bought new with Full time front axle and the shifter pattern is for a NP-205. I have not looked under the truck since I learned how to ID axles and T-cases but I believe it should have a Dana 60 or 70 front axle and NP-205.

Since he bought this truck new I know he has not swapped out the axle or t-case in the trucks life.