Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found a pump, now what?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Nov 2, 2006.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

I ordered a Mr. Gasket 12s electric pump from Summit Racing and had it shipped next day. It cost about 60 bucks. Not bad.
    http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?brandId=1&productID=6823981&majID=225&minID=2255&selection=5&minselection=3

Now i need to know what other stuff i need for the install. It comes with the fittings and mounting hardware. What type of hose do i need and what do i ask for at the local parts store? Length? The instructions say they reccomend 14 gauge wire, but nothing about hoseing. Is 12 gauge wire better to run or will 14 work. Thanks again guys, cant wait to get the beast running again.

2. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Just ask for a few feet of 3/8" fuel hose. Get more than needed and save the rest for future or emergency purchases. You will need at least 14ga. wire or bigger. Bigger the wire, the less amp draw= less heat. You will also need some way of switching it on when you start up. You could wire in a switch and relay or wire the relay off the ignition switch.

3. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

I have to wire it to a relay? Can i just wire it straight to an ignition source? or is it better to run it to a switch? What does the relay do? And what kind should i get?

4. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I relay allows you to have a low-amp trigger source, such as a toggle switch, so you dont have a large ammount of current traveling through wires (or you) that you dont want it to. This should explain it better:

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

I would use a standard 30A relay because you can buy them in bulk, and nearly every other aftermarket relay would work. Or you could go with the GM style relay which comes with its own weatherproof connector if you get it from the junkyard...