Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found a rust free tub....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Oct 1, 2000.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ok half a tub, but it is the half I need![​IMG]

I was out looking at (ugh) minivans with my buddy (4 kids) and we had my Jimmy. The owner of the lot mentioned he had the entire rear half of an 88 Blazer that he wanted to get rid of. That got my attention![​IMG]. So I went and looked at it and it was an 88 converted to the full convertable. Big time front end hit though, even the windsheild frame was toast. I could probably save the upper part of the windsheild frame in case someone was interested, it bent down low on the frame, the upper part is probably save-able.
    Anyways I ask him how much and he says 250.00! Thats Canadian $, so I jumped at it. I am so stoked right now![​IMG] The entire rear of the truck is mint and rust free and thats the only part left on mine that needs fixing.

Anyways I just thought I'd share.

Rene

[​IMG]

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Congrats..on your new find.
    I can relate.. I went to a salvage yard to have them cut out the floorpans for my Blazer.. Sure they said they could do it.. I paid my money and waited for two days.. Finally they call me and tell me my part is ready.. and to bring a trailer. A big trailer.
    Get there.. and they have the whole tub ready for me.. For only $160.00 and it was an 83, no rust,Texas truck. Hell I don't even think it's ever been off road.
    So congrats on your new find.. you never know what you'll find out just by talking to someone. if you need plans on a lift.. we built one for under $70 us dollars with a couple 2x6's, 4x4's and 8inch lag screws. It has lifted off two Blazer bodies and removed my engine.

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

3. tRustyK5

Now the nightmare begins HaHa! I live in a townhouse with a single carport, not exactly K5 building territory! [​IMG]
    I'm hoping the rear half is not too heavy (3 guys?).

The weird part is that this thing is less than 2 blocks from where I live and its been there for at least a year!

Oh well I'll find a way to make it work. Maybe you could email me the plans for your body lifter, it sounds like a proven design and it'll probably save me a bunch of head-aches!

My email addy is drj@pacificcoast.net Thanks in advance.

What an awesome weekend, I got my soft top on and found this tub. I can't ask for any more than that![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I'll work on the plans.. and get them off to you.
    I had a good weekend also.. Finally getting my Blazer back together.. Final body swap completed and new 94 Suburban seats are installed. took some modifying, but Cheri and I did it.
    I'm happy for u..

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

5. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I wish I could be as lucky as you.. I tore up the carpet last week... only to find.... <font color=red>Rust</font color=red> [​IMG] . I fear that the bolts that hold the bed of my body to the frame will go through the floor, since it's rusting all around them.. infact.. I can see a peice of the body lift starting to come through! I think I may need a new tub. I really wish my truck never had a body lift. All it did was put more stress on the floors by spacing them away from the frame. Now, I'm afraid to try to haul a 14 bolt, or any heavy weight, home in the back. Because it might cause the rear of the body to collapse onto the frame![​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://billybob.coloradok5.com
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

6. tRustyK5

Hauling my 14 bolt home in the back was exactly how I first found out how weak the rear floor area was.[​IMG] There is nothing like 534 lbs of manly 14 bolt to test out your floor[​IMG]
    Putting my soft top on on Saturday my foot almost went through the floor (obviously it did'nt get any stronger over the last 2 1/2 years[​IMG])Good thing I have carpet there or I would have been standing on the gas tank.LOL
    Yeah <font color=red>Rust</font color=red> its even in my user name[​IMG], I might have to change that soon.

Rene

[​IMG]