Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found a trailer!

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 84_Chevy_K10, May 27, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Going to look at a brand new 2004 trailer on Saturday. It's a 14,000 lb model, 18' plus 2' dovetail, brakes on every axle, 8 lug 16" wheels and tires, and the best part.

$2650!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a great deal!

Now make sure to take some pics so we all can drool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

John

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If this is for real I'm going to buy it this Saturday. Way overkill with 7k lb axles and 16" wheels and tires.

Now if I could only find a hitch that will do 10,000+ for weight carrying for my 87 C30. I think it's pathetic that they do not make a Reese Titan for this body style.

I have a Valley rated for 7500 wt carrying/10k wt distributing but I don't really see any need to put a weight distributing setup on for this trailer/truck combo. My 1 ton has so many leaves in back it won't even squat far enough to sit level with my mom's 5th wheel on it with 2,000 lbs of pin weight.

Does ANYONE make a trailer hitch for this body style that is capable of more than 7,500 wt. carrying?

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

It may not squat, but this sounds like a pig of a trailer, and a weight distribution would not be a bad idea. The purpose of the weight distribution isnt just to level the load, but also to make the load more stable by spreading it out. Personally since your 30 is just a reg-cab single wheel, i would definately look into the weight distribution. Just for peace of mind.

As far as the hitch situation, IIRC, Draw tite used to make a hitch rated at 10K without the load distribution, but i am not sure if they still do. We used to have one of those on the chevy my dad used to have. It was WAY to much hitch for the truck, but it made a stout recovery point in the winter. And provided peace of mind for the 6K pound boat behind it. Im not 100% that it was a draw tite, but that is sticking in my head right now.

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Just curious... what brand is the trailer and is it a deck over?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No it's not a deck over, I do not need nor want a deck over trailer.

I believe it is a PJ brand trailer but it may be another brand, I have forgotten.

I would agree on the weight disribution if my C30 didn't have such stiff suspension and overloads that it doesn't squat at all.

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

PJ trailers are okay at best. Make sure you get one with dexter axles. PJ was using junk axles for a while. They are built in Mexico. The time they were using the crap axles they also had wiring issues. If you find a PJ with dexters it should be alright.

CR

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    Does ANYONE make a trailer hitch for this body style that is capable of more than 7,500 wt. carrying?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here ya go, Draw-tite

I've used and do use this model often when I install hitches. I always get the biggest one available. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

John

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would agree on the weight disribution if my C30 didn't have such stiff suspension and overloads that it doesn't squat at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, and as already mentioned, a weight distributing hitch does more than just level a vehicle. Super stiff rear springs do not have the same handling benefit as as W/D hitch since you are still unloading the front suspension.........

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, and as already mentioned, a weight distributing hitch does more than just level a vehicle. Super stiff rear springs do not have the same handling benefit as as W/D hitch since you are still unloading the front suspension.........

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I've got a weight distributing setup around here somewhere. I'll throw it on eventually once I scrounge up some brackets for my trailer because mine disappeared a few years ago (don't ask).

Until then I want to make sure I have a reciever that is capable of pulling my trailer without the bars. My current one is 5,000 wt. carrying, 10,000 W/D and I would like to upgrade to something a little better.

I bought my trailer today guys, 14k lb with 16" wheels and tires (8 on 6.5" too). Since I've got tons of those wheel/tire combos around (they're 235/85R16s) I didn't need a spare--I've already got a bunch.

It's a "Road boss" brand with 7,000 lb axles, brakes on both, has sturdy steel fenders that can be driven over, and is 18' + 2' dovetail. I went for the regular slide in ramps as I don't much care for the fold-up type.

Price was $2650, he ended up wanting $2900 because it has the heavy duty jack and adjustable coupler but I talked him into selling it to me for the $2650 because I told him I was ready to cut the check right there and now today.

Overall I think I got a good deal for $3034 out the door. Trailer is WAY overkill for my needs but I got a great deal and really can't complain at all.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like except it's an 18+2, this is a 16' in the picture. Either way, it's exactly like that, black, same frame type, treated deck, etc.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Looks good, are the other two feet aft of the wheel-wells?

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks good, are the other two feet aft of the wheel-wells?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Cool. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just had u-haul put on a valley 12k hitch for me. Overkill for my 3/4 ton, but we always do overkill at ck5. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It stiffened up my frame too! lol.

Anyways, check valley- mine was a 88+ with the wider frame, but I know someone makes a class 4 hitch for ya.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a valley hitch already. It's rated for 5,000 weight carrying, 10,000 weight distributing.

I either have to upgrade my hitch or get a weight distribution setup. I think I'm going to do the latter although I'd like to do both.

Just hard to spend money on TWO rigs now. Especially considering my tow rig is a complete POS (it's borderline embarassing, even for me!).

16. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Nice!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

What is your tow rig?
    I bumper pull my trailer with rig, (probably weighing about ~9K lbs.) without a WD hitch and it tows fine. I have a 3500 Ram SINGLE rear wheel with a SHORT Bed. It's an 04', so they have a much softer rear springs too.
    My hitch is a Class IV up to 10K without a WD hitch and it pulls fine. I have no sway issues or any bad handling issues.
    I would look at upgrading the hitch first, since it sounds like a weak one anyway (no offense) and then try towing with that and see what happens....If you have handling probs, then get a WD hitch...
    Boss.

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Time for a little hijack...Boss, do you know the WB of your Ram? TIA.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My tow rig is a 1987 C/R 30 SRW with a 350 TBI/TH 400 and 4.10s.

20. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Bear, WB is 140.5"
    It's a quad cab short bed.