Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

found a truck for sale need info ans suggestioooons

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fred79, Sep 9, 2002.

1. fred79

fred79 Registered Member

i found a guy selling his 4x4 its a 1980 1/2 ton with a 350
    the engine he had rebuilt by a buddy of his that built race engines; its bored over.040 and a smaller cam it looks like its still all stock other wise. it had a th350 but he siad he trashed it and the guy that built the engine told him manual only so its a 5 speed with granny low and he said its a chain driven tranfer case. i have no idea what it is yet except that its big. it has stock axles, and 35"superswampers, he has less than 10,000 on the new engine. he tore it down to the frame and painted it and then put 82 tin on the frame.there is very little rust on the body except for the rockers.it has a brush guard and a small winch (super winch x3 is all i caught). also 4" lift looks like two body and two in teh springs no blocks! the guy want 1700 OBO, only other thing he changed was tehat the transfer case waaaas trashing the rubber mounts so he removed the brace and replaced it with a chain and bolted the rubber bushings to the frame with the chain and hasn't had a problem. any on have any idea if this is kosher, also it was an ohio truck and i'm in PA any idea what teh stock emissions equiptment was cause now its dual pipes straight back to short cherry bombs and dupm out the back. i would need to make this pass in PA with emissions the truck i now had a sbc 400 origanaly so what arethe emissions on a 1980's not CA truck.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

so it is a NP203 held in with a CHAIN?? i would say that is flat out bad. the x-member is needed to support that hulking piece of metal. if it was tearing up mounts, there might be a bigger problem.

i am not good enuff to tell over the internet, though...

3. fred79

fred79 Registered Member

from what i can tell he said that he attached the case on the bottom with a chain and its suspended by the chain between the frame rails I may have to put it back with some polly bushings and check the motor mounts also he use to take it off road wiht out any problems he said he went with a big truck because he kept braking axle on his jeep. so i don't think he was easy on it. i would rather have the np205 i thought it was stronger he though the other way how hard would it be to find one. did the 203 and 205 fit up to both 5speeds with out adapters?(I don't know which one it is sm465 or sm420.) he does have locking hubs in it.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

never knew a truck that came with a five speed of those years. i honestly would keep looking. this rig seems to be a bit on the shady side. unless this is EXACTLY what you have dreamed of since you were a lad, it might be wise to look for something a bit less molested.

i got my K5 for $2k from the orginal owner. had the window sticker, the booklet he got from GM when he was shopping for trucks with his notes and the dealers numbers on it.

so they are out there, you just have to be patient. buy something with your head and not your heart.

5. blwnbwtie

blwnbwtie Registered Member

i would hold out if i was you, i bought a 72 chevy pu about two years ago. It didnt seem right at the time but for some reason i just wanted that truck not sure why, well it turned out to be the biggest piece of crap ive ever owned. I spent way too much on it too $5K it wasnt even 4x4. About 4 months ago i found a 78 k5 4x4 for 1150 and that was a way better truck than the 72 that i had. So just keep your eyes out there are plenty of trucks out there expecially the 73-87 years its a very common truck. Just wait for the best deal you can find and try to find one that is stock and do the work your self, chances are it wont be as beat.

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

5 speed with granny low has to be an NV4500, doesn't it? Does it have a later model aluminum case?

7. fred79

fred79 Registered Member

i'm sorry i guess it would be a 4 speed L,1,2,3,R. so i guess its a 4 speed wish it was a 5 speed with OD

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM That is sounding like a 465 in front of a NP203. If it is....it's rare.

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Unless there is more to this truck than you have described, look for a different one. If it is a granny 5speed, it could be a GM MT-8 (what people usually call a NV4500). It would probably have either a 208 or 241 transfer case. If you look at it and see that it is a clean install, it is worth it. It sounds to me like it is butched together with bailing wire and pantyhose. Keep looking. I recommend going for one that is pretty much stock and then modifying it to suit you. I don't trust anyone else to put something together properly.