Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

found a vehicle on the trail

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, May 1, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

the other day a friend and i found a burned out S-10 blazer on a trail that we used to frequent. the body is toast, but it looks like whoever had the thing poured gas on it and lit it on fire. we want to get the drivetrain out of it (4.3L V6)and build a little rock/mud buggy with the motor/tranny/transfer case. 10 bolts front and rear, 33" mud tires, and a tube frame sounds like a cheap thrill. worst case, the drivetrain is screwed and we learn a little about how things work when we tear it apart to rebuild it.

the problem i have is, i dont know if it was stolen, or if it doesnt run or what. and i dont really wanna pull it outta the trail and then get arrested for having a stolen vehicle. how can we find out who owns it so we dont get tossed in the jail? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Im guessing by going to the police dept with the VIN number you should be able to find out. I personally wouldnt touch it, arson is a crime usually committed to cover up another crime, probably a stolen vehicle and/or murder. Could be evidence. Be careful about just hauling it off.

3. thezentree

my friend and i discussed this at length this morning, and we decided that we arent going to do anything with it unless we have the owner's permission. i just don't want to go to the police, because the legality of being on that land is questionable at best /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    because the legality of being on that land is questionable at best

[/ QUOTE ]
    then you should not have even been there in the first place /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. thezentree

i know, and that has a lot to do with why we stopped going there. we lifted my friend's truck a few days ago, and had a few minutes to kill, so we went back there just for the hell of it.

im all about keeping things legal, but no one has ever said anything to us about being there, and there are plenty of other people that go back there. no one has said anything to them. this is the first time we've been there in close to three months. (and after seeing the holes dried up, i understand why i always used to get stuck /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif )

anyway, i dont wanna turn this into a land-use debate, you're right mudhog, we shouldnt have been back there. but theres really no where else to go /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

at least theres a trail at all down there, up here we dont even have a single one of those for ppl to ride, but then theres very few trail rigs anyways, not any true ones anyways, just street 4x4's that could only handle some light wheeling, and all thats here is flat black dirt land

if you know a towing recovery guy then you can give them the VIN code and they can call the county and they will tell them immediately if the vehicle is stolen or clean, etc.

good luck with whatever you do /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You could apply for an abandoned vehicle title, the police will come see it of course, if not part of a crime/theft, and no one claims it , it would be yours for the fees. At least that is how AZ works it.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

First thing to do is to report it to the local Sheriff's dept. Chances are you could buy it cheap when it go's to aution.

9. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That is how I registered my '69 Chevy Impala I bought for $200 bucks right after high school. I had the title for it, but is was a CF as the guy who's name the title was in, was dead, and he never did sign it.

I miss that car. that 396 would get up and scream.

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Call the cops from a pay phone and simply say there is an abandoned vehicle at such and such location that has been burned. You don't have to even say who you are. I wouldn't touch that wreck with a 100' pole. I wouldn't just leave it out there. If it was my ride and someone stole it I'd appreciate knowing wtf happened to it. Not to mention like was mentioned there might have been a crime covered up by burning it.

11. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

how do we know that you did not do it? and perhaps your posting here to cover up what you did?....if you get caught, you can refer to this posting for proof that you did not do it... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my cousin and i found a trans am out where we used to wheel,i wanted the seats out of it but we never touched it cuz we knew it was stolen.people always dumped cars back there,fun to drive over though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif