Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found an Interesting Piece in the Pan

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Canuck, Aug 18, 2000.

1. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Finnally got the right oil pan and changed it out the other day. I dumped the oil out of the old pan and found the bottom or flange part on a piston in the pan. I know this is not a good thing. The piece has been cracked for awhile by the looks of it. Should I be worried or be planning an engine change soon or will this make a difference at all? The motor isn't knocking, but it does huff the blues pretty good. I'm wondering whether the motor will last the winter or not. I'm trying to figure out whether I should pull the 400hp 327ci I have in my 69 Nova and drop it into the Blazer immediately or wait till she blows and replace the weak 305ci. with another one!!

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

There is no way to really tell. I wouldn't plan on it lasting through the winter though, it might be slightly out of balance now. Then again it could be negligible. If you want to put that motor in go ahead. I would just start to slowly build a sb350, or 383 for it, and just junk the 305. You can build up the 305 but you won't get as much power or torque than a 350, also it would probably cost about the same (parts and labor wise).- Steve

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

It's not a matter of building one. I currently have that motor in my 69 Nova. I was contimplating putting a big block in the Nova. This would just seal the deal on the big block.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

4. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Why not leave the 327 in the Nova, and buy the big block for the Blazer? It's less work, 400hp in the Nova sounds like fun, and I'm sure your Blazer would thank you for it!

5. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Well, I've never considered putting a big block in the Blazer. I figure the 327 would move it around good enough. If you think a 400hp 327 would be fun in the Nova, think about 500hp 427 in there. YEEEE HAAAA! I'm also considering tubbing out the Nova to put the rubber to the pavement. I know I'm getting alittle off topic, but what the hell!

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

6. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Big Blocks for everybody! (I wish that would be someone's campaign promise)

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hmmmmmm... 500 hp in a Blazer, and a 327 for the lawn tractor. That just leaves the Nova.....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Man let me tell you. In my vette the motor before last I broke off a piston skirt installing the last piston. $%## it is what I said. I still raced the hell out of it. It was out of balance but being in the navy at the time I couldn't buy a set of gaskets if you catch my drift. Anyways about 10,000 miles of hard abuse when it was time for another motor done right this time. There were 8 total piston skirts lying in the oil pan. But it still ran like a champ just a little smoke was coming out the pipes but not a big deal. Just a similar story I thought I'd share.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

9. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Right on!! Sounds like you ring the hell out of your ride like I do. You had 8 pieces and I only found one. I feel alot better now. It'll probably last the winter, I'll have to do some work in the spring.

Thanks for the story dumbfounded!!

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

10. Bizz

Bizz Registered Member

AKA Thumper here.

I have a Vette 327 in my Blazer, it runs great on the street with the 4:56s but I still find that I am lacking something in the torque department off-road. I know around my house, the next big item on my list is a big block. If I were you, Id leave the 327 in the Nova and look for a 454 to slip into the truck!

Mike

11. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

That seems to be the concensus is the big block for the Blazer. I drive 20 miles to work (hiway) everyday and I find that my gas milage is bad enough with the 305ci. With the price of gas these days, IT'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

12. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

It's the price for power. I had a '68 Camaro, ten bucks of gas a day, and this was when it was cheap!! At least it was paid for, and it was nice to have the power on hand. You pay either way, and I'd rather have the big cubes and pay for it at the pump, than drive around feeling "average". I'm waiting for a tranny for my K5, but you can count on me dropping the 454 in it.

13. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Point taken, Who wants to be average LOL.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

14. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Well my opinion might not be worth much to you, but personally, I think the 305 should be used as a boat anchor. The 327 in the Nova sounds nice, and I agree with the big block idea for the blazer.

78 K-5

15. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

I value everybody's opinion here on the K5 pages. I would have to agree with you. The 305 sucks. Just tossing around some of the suggestions I've received.

Thanks

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

16. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Big Block, big block, big block!!! Hmmmm? 454, TH 400, Danas on both ends, could it be? The Blazer that never was... ONE TON K5!

17. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

MAN, YOUR RADICAL!!!!!!!

LOVE IT!!!

Go Wide or Stay @ Home