Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found an Oldie - What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Anyone who knows me probably knows that I'd much prefer a Blazer that is 1975 or older. I really want that full convertible thing. I blame it on my mom being a biker. I want wind & sun! Lots of it! Yesterday on the way home from wheeling, I spotted this:
    [​IMG]
    It's a 1973. I tracked down the owner and he'll sell it for $1000 because it has about 10 hours on the rebuilt engine. He also says he has 3/4 ton and maybe 1 ton axles from previous parts trucks. So I'm thinking we have a deal. Trevor and I looked at it a bit closer and found that the entire floor is shot. No surprise really but extremely disappointing given that the truck looks solid otherwise.
    [​IMG]

What would you guys do? Try to get him to throw in a 1 ton front end on the deal, or some other parts? He may not know what they are worth. Just forget it and keep saving for a southern truck? I really don't need anything except the body & frame, because I'd swap in all of my other stuff.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

With the floor all rusted out I would boatside it, 4" lift, 1 ton axles, put a rollcage in it and cut the fenders to clear some 37's. I just picked up an 82 myself and that is what I want to do to mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

By floor completely shot do mean everywhere or just at the door jams? If it were just where the pictures depict I would slop that truck up in a heartbeat. If nuthin else a ten hour old motor is a pretty good find in itself. Plus if he's willin to throw in the axels then what the heck are ya waitin for?? Better yet just give me some good directions and I'll solve the whole prollem for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Good luck to ya! Grab that up before someone else around ya does.

Allan

4. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

dude scoop it up..my 74dd has bigger holes in it...that looks very clean from the picture...I WOULD BUY NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY SAWZALL
    TWISTING DRIVESHAFTS SINCE '00

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

A 1973 K5, 1-ton front axle and rebuilt engine is easily worth $1000. Floors are easily replaced or you could get extreme and boatside or modify them for better clearence. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I actually thought of you this weekend when I saw a nice 73-75 K5 for sale here in town. It was a total poser and was too nice for me to afford so I didn't even stop to look. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

is that a plow on the front /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif you could sell that or keep it but it should add to the truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a good deal especially if the 1 tons come with it... How long has it been sitting though? Sitting doesn't do good for the engine.

8. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

buy it, at least it will be good for parts when/if you buy a rust free one, if you decide not to build it.

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Well, just an FYI, anytime your exhaust exits from "inside" you should roll the windows down before you take off. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif at least thats what it looks like in the pic.

Also, why not just convert your current K5 to convertable?

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you can score the 1-tons get it, if not, I'd pass... but thats just me. Personally, I really like my half cab... i can drive in the rain wearing my trademark shorts n t-shirt and its no biggie. With a full top, I could only have the thing off for about 2 months a year (dry season here in WA is kinda short, lol!) and that sucks! anyway, like i said... go for it for the beefy axles if he has em...

j

11. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Steve, that is what I had been wanting to do. I have the windshield frame & hardtop from a '75, and could get the door caps fairly easily. I have the full cage to support the body, too. I just also have a spouse who thinks it's a very bad idea. How is yours coming? I think it would be so much simpler if we could run soft tops here, but the fact is we have 4-5 cold, snowy months and this is my grocery getter /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I've been kind of watching for an update on yours (hint hint).

12. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

A couple of other thoughts on why I haven't made mine a full convertible.... it also has a lot of rust. I had about a third of the floor replaced - the section from just behind the front seats to the rear seat and up the sides a little. The tailpan is bad, the rockers are shot, rear quarters have rusted front corners, drivers door is going bad from the inside out. Not to mention the dents. Now, I know I'm bound to get more of those but when you add it all up I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. I'm thinking of getting an old project like this one and slowly work on it while I continue to dent & bash my current one. Then when it's really bad, have a new body ready to go /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    With the floor all rusted out I would boatside it, 4" lift, 1 ton axles, put a rollcage in it and cut the fenders to clear some 37's. I just picked up an 82 myself and that is what I want to do to mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    You just described my K5 in progress /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I don't know how bad your present K5 is but if you think getting another one for a project K5 is a good idea then go with your gut.

14. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Beast388, thanks for thinking of me /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Probably too expensive for me, too! I have more time than money, and that is saying something considering I never have enough time to do everything I'd like to! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

15. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

The entire floor is either rusted through or close to it. I may be better off looking for something rust free once I've saved a bit of money. Anyone else notice how hard that is to do when you enjoy wheeling? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Save money, what a joke!! When/if I do find what I'm looking for, I'll see about covering the entire body in POR-15 before I even swap in the good stuff from my truck.

16. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Wow, Andrea, you never cease to amaze me. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif First the whole Jeep thing, now wanting to start all over...you've got a capable truck, I've seen it in action. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

How's this idea...buy that blazer (or just the tub if the guy will let you). Take the tub off the frame, that way you can do any necessary work while it's not attached to the vehicle. Then just swap the tub onto your frame and drivetrain. You've got a stout drivetrain, probably a frame in better shape than the old plow truck, a good FUEL INJECTED engine, etc. I think that will save you the most money and effort...and you'll end up a well-built convertible /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

17. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Are you or your hubby handy with sheetmetal? If so, buy it, and make your own floor's to cover any doubler, clocked t-case, whatever.

If the owner throw's in the 1 ton axle's, [after you point out how rotted out the floor is] it would'nt be all that hard to do, with a little elbow grease. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, just an FYI, anytime your exhaust exits from "inside" you should roll the windows down before you take off. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif at least thats what it looks like in the pic.

Also, why not just convert your current K5 to convertable?

[/ QUOTE ]

wie downt ue wawnt exast etixine frowm theh
    insyde, eyi downt sea thaght beeen aye prowblem?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif