Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found me an 86 K5!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, May 12, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Alright Ya'll, I just found a killer deal on a K5. It's an 86, 305, Manual 3 speed, Body has a few dints and a little rust. It needs a battery and 2 rear tires. The thing has been sitting in a garage for over 2 years. I took a battery and some gas over last night, installed the battery, primed the carb. and she started right up :) So I go back and ask her what she wants for it. $850!!!!! The engine ran real good, a couple small leaks (valve covers, and the yokes on my diffs) But I was really impressed with it. I was waiting to hear a rod knocking once I cranked her but really the only sound remotely close to that was a lifter sticking. So I'll have me a nice little project blazer :) How good is the manual 3 speed? I owned a pickup with the 700R4 and I HATED it with a passion. Ya'll give me some cheap fix-er-up ideas.

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i'm jealous.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. jerrod710

jerrod710 Newbie

some ideas on the 86 Blazer

You want some cheap ideas as in cheap in initial costs or in the long run. Your right on the 700R4 sucking. B&M makes an awesome automatic transmission that is stout and with overdrive and you can custom order stuff on it such as lower gearing in first gear and whatnot. I wouldn't plan on keeping that 3 speed manual trans in there, but if you plan on keeping a manual transmission you might as well find one with overdrive like a 5th gear (some modifications may have to be made). But it all depends on what you are going to do with the Blazer and how your going to drive it. I've got $17,000 wrapped up in my K5 that I'm building and I figure I need to spend another $10,000 to get everything the way I want it, such as 425 horsepower 454 engine and AtlasII transfer case and a roll cage which is easy to get done and some five point harness seats and one of those transmissions from B&M.

4. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

I will preface this with the standard disclaimer that not everyone shares my opinions and results may vary dramatically depending upon application. I researched some similar questions when shopping for my K5 a few months back.

The 3 spd manual is kinda weak and not worth building. Swap in something with an overdrive if it's a dailer driver... if it's a weekend warrior, just bolt in an SM465...assuming you want to stay with manual.

I guess other "cheap" mods depend on a) what you consider "cheap" and b) what you're going to use the truck for. Some people 'wheel mostly stock K5's for years and have a great time, while others get bit by the hardcore bug and end up building a machine that eats modified Jeeps for lunch.

For an extremely meager budget (like mine) you might look at some 1 ton axles, a small lift, crossover steering (including a brace), bolt on some good shocks and hit the trails! With 35's or 37's and steeper gears the 305 will be under powered, but you'll still have plenty of opportunities to go out and break stuff :)

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: I can't tell you how many times I have come across cheap d60s :haha: :haha: :haha:

Oh yes I can.......zero! lol Just had to mess with ya

6. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

Point taken :D

I also know a lot of people who run 1/2 ton axles for years with no problems as long as they keep the tire size under control and don't mash on the skinny pedal too much. :rolleyes:

Mudfrog - Based on where you live I'm guessing that hardcore rocks aren't going to be your thing (but I don't know for sure) so if you'd share a little with us about what you intend to do with the truck, we can tailor our suggestions accordingly...