Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found Military D60/14BFF combo for $1500...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Oct 20, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I stopped at this surplus place the other day and much to my surprise the guy had a D60 and a 14BFF from a CUCV truck sitting there. I asked him how much for both and he said $1500. The only thing missing are the spring plates, which really sucks because I understand they can be a bitch to locate. I am not real pumped up about the price, but for 4.56 gears and a rear Detroit, it's not too bad. I know some of you guys have gotten really good deals on these, but I have yet to find a better one. I have a $75 14BFF sitting at home, but I figure by the time I switch the gears to 4.56 and put a Detroit in, I might as well just buy the other one. They seem to be in real great condition, complete from end to end. Does anyone have a source for spring plates, aftermarket or stock? Please let me know if you do. All I would have to do is find those, relocate my rear perches and bolt 'em up. The guy said he might be getting another set in so if I pick these up this weekend, I'll check it out and let you guys know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Echobit has the D60 spring plates for 4 degree shims. I really wonder what would be so hard about making your own. I have access to a mill and drill press so I don't know. ANyone?

3. steelsoldiers

Hmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Sled-dog, you need to start cranking those puppies out. I know I'm not the only one who might need some. Do you have any that you can copy?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

afraid I don't but whenever I locate a D60 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

There's a guy on ebay that is selling some aftermarket ones right now. There going for 50.00 a set. No swaybar provision but they look beefy.

6. steelsoldiers

Dude, you da man. Maybe I could weld on some mounts for my swaybar... or screw it, I ran without one for about a year and it never really made that big of a difference, as long as I was careful /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I wonder if it would pass inspection sans sway-bar /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I know the spring plates for the rear can even be bought through GM, not sure about the front....Really not that difficult to get. Tony P could even make you up a set, among others on here....

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

TONYP on this site makes Dana 60 spring plates too.He can make the passenger side one tapered if need be also. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. steelsoldiers

OK, cool man. That's good to know, I'm sure they [the GM ones] are on the pricey side though, /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif but maybe not. If I get these this weekend, I'll give a shout out to Tony P for some spring plates. I'm glad they are not as hard to find as I have heard. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

That a good pric eif you dont have to rebuild them I got a set for 800 trying to save money and I will have over 1500 in them buy the time they are in the truck. plus time spent. Its to late for me now but If I would have known I would have just spent the cash up front.

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If the place you are talking about is Clark Truck Parts in Poca West Virginia, DONT BUY IT!!!! I bought a 14ff rear from them eith 4.56's and a detroit in july, and put it in my truck this weekend, only to find out that it makes a horrible grinding noise. They sold me a broken axle, and they wont refund my money, fix it, or pay for labor on it. I spent a lot of money on that rearend, and they wont help me at all, even though they sold me a broken rearend.
    Now, my truck has to be towed to a chevy dealership to be fixed, and clarks wont help me out at all. Even though they told me if I had any problems with it whatsoever, to tell them and they would fix it, the told me today that they wont. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    -Harrison

12. steelsoldiers

Re: Found Military D60/14BFF combo for $1500... *DELETED*

Post deleted by steelsoldiers

13. steelsoldiers

I am wondering how cheap I could put 4.56 and a detroit in my $75 14BFF. I know the Detroits go for around $300 and gear sets are at least $150-200. I just don't think I can go wrong buying one that is already locked and geared to start with. I can weld on spring perches alot better than I can set up gears. Whattayathink guys? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

you can do it that way and then still spend 1000 to 1300 bucks on a Dana 60 thats 4.56 geared...

up to you really

Later

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I basically did exactly what you're about to do. Paid up front and saved a bunch of headaches. I paid $1800 for my set though /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. The guy wanted $550 for the 14 FF rear with 4.56's and Detroit plus brand new brakes. I figured there was no way I could get my old 14 FF to that point for that money so I snagged it.

Moving the perches was cake...

Rene

16. steelsoldiers

Cool, thanks for the input Rene. I think I'm sold on them. Speaking of spring perches, since I only have 2" rear springs right now, I am going to leave my perches at the same angle when I move them. If I decide to swap to a Echobit flip kit in the rear, will I have to use shims for good driveline angles? I want to hack my fenders to run the biggest tires possible with my current 2" springs and 2" body. I don't really have any need to run a rear CV if I don't go any higher right? I just want to plan ahead and do my perches right the first time.

17. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I am pretty sure you will need to shimm. The echobit flip tslef provides 5 3/4" of lift, and with 2" springs that makes 7 3/4"'s. That sure would surprise me if it didnt have to be shimmed. The rear driveshaft will also have to be lengthened as well. I just put an echobit flip on my blazer last weekend, and its a great product. It took all of about 10 minutes to put it on (but I already had the rear axle out anyways). I havent really had a chance to drive my truck anywhere yet (because of that broken 14ff that was sold to me), but from the looks of it, my driveshaft seems to be at a reasonable angle without shimms. That would probably be a different story with 2" springs though. Oh, and you might want to check echobits website. I know that the shackle flips are on back order for a few months, but Mike also discontinued them untill next summer I believe. He is selling them untill he runs out of parts to make them, so if he hasnt already, you might want to go ahead and order yours, and be prepared to wait for a few months for it to get to you. It may take a while for you to get it, but when you do, its a great product. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

18. steelsoldiers

Thanks Harrison, if I went that way, I would definitely pull off the body lift. I think 7-3/4" would still be a little tall and tippy for these WV trails. We'll see, axle swap and fender hacking must come first /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. steelsoldiers

Well I guess I'm screwed again. I called my Dad to borrow his F250 to go pick up the axles this weekend. He gave me the bad news that his clutch is f'ed up in his truck. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I called the guy with the axles and he said that he's going out of town on Monday and won't be back for a week or so. I'll call him when he gets back and hopefully the axles will still be there. Du-oh!!