Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found my 14 bolt, Now what?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Frank74, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

I was out looking for a spare tire rim at my local scrap yard, and decided i would have a look around on their axle rack. I noticed a massive 14 bolt, 8 lug, full floater. Then i got my tape measurer out and it has the 66 inch WMS to WMS, which tells me it is out of a truck(van has 69). The axle also has the spring pads on it, so that is great. The guy wants $175 which I would pay. My question is this, is there anyway to tell if it has a gov-lock on it without removing the cover? I spun one drum, and the other one spun in the other direction just by turning the first one(is that right?) So if I take this bad boy home, I'll have to buy new 8 lug rims, make a new driveshaft, and rebuild it with 4.10s, bleed the brakes, take my brake lines off my 12 bolt and transfer them on there, which will cost me a couple bucks. I am hoping one of my buddies who has done a 14 bolt SF 6 lug swap on his '73 K10 will be able to help me, plus he had to weld his spring pads on there, the axle I have already has 'em. Any advice for a first time axle swap would be great.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Tell the yard you want to see inside before you buy it. Then you can get the #s off the ring gear so youll know the ratio it has, and youll have a chance to look at the carrier to see if its a Gov or not. I think the difference is 3 holes or 4 holes. I dont recall which way it goes but one is Gov, the other is open. MAYBE 3 holes is Gov.

There was a post about this not long ago. Try a search of 14 bolt gov lock, or just gov lock. Its only back a few weeks to a month ago I think.

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3 holes is GOV-LOK, 4 is open.

4. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

I hate to be a pesk, I searched The garage and the 2nd gen board for gov lock and 14 bolt but to no avail. I also looked around online. What I need help with is identifying the internals. If I have these guys pull the cover, what exactly am I looking for. Where will these holes be located. If you can tell me where in the differential these holes are that would do just fine.