Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found my trail rig platform, Soon to be a build tread.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skyyk5, Mar 23, 2007.

1. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

My freind owned this K5 since I was 16. He always took good care of it. He put it in his shop so he could redo it. Then the flood came, took the back wall of the tire shop out, pushed the Blazer from the back of the shop to the front.

So since then He has asked me to buy it, many, many times. Hoping I would restore it (had classic plates). So when I just got new tires, He asked again if I want the Blazer. I let him know that I'm looking for a trail rig, not something to restore. So we struck a deal.

All the back windows are the ones from my K5, when it was a '89. I also get my front seats back from my '84 (they mach the ones in the truck). With the truck comes a new set of rear springs. And all the dents it got during the flood.

The drive train will be out of my '79 K20 parts truck, with 29,000 original miles. It has a 350/465/205/d44/14bff. This will be a cheap build at first. Just want to get it offroad!

trailrig1.jpg

trailrig2.jpg

trailrig3.jpg

trailrig4.jpg

trailrig5.jpg

2. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

nice good luck with it.

3. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

nice, what year is it btw?

4. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

From the stock grill, I would have to say 84-85. I didn't really care, so I keep on forgeting to ask. I'm PMing you on something else (241).

5. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

looks like maybe 82?
    /Sounds like a pretty good parts list you have planned...isn't it nice to have that stuff laying around waiting for a project?

6. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

It has the metal trim in the center of the grill, 84-85. 81-82 had the blinkers in the bumper, and still had the wipers on the dash. 86-88 had the all plastic grill with no trim. If I remember correct.

7. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeh I guess I should have looked at the grill, I was just looking at the side profile. But I think a 85-86 Grill had a wider horizontal center. My 85 did, but it was only a single headlamp setup.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That grille on this particular pictured truck above was 83-84 ONLY ( some CUCV's have it on later years , but it was old stock installed with the appropriate holes cut already ) .

If its an 83 , the wipers are on the dash , where they belong , with the headlights below .

If its an 84 the wipers are on the column , where they don't belong . and the headlight switch moved higher .

Grille interchanges both years , dash bezel didn't .

Guess which K5 years I am partial too :wink1:

9. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Wipers should be on the dash!!!! Moved mine to the dash when I cloned the 89. This truck has the wipers on the column. So must be a 84. I had a 84, but could not remember if the trim came 83-84, or 84-85. Thanks.

10. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Post pics of the K20 if you have some.

11. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I have one, hold on gotta get it off the camera.

12. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Here you go. The rest of her will be parted out when I remove the drive train.

79k20parts.jpg

13. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

seems like the parts truck has some GOOD PARTS on it lmao, im sure if u advertise right someone will want those head light rings and grill and such, if i still had my old truck i would be jumpin on it but mines an 84 now, which im in need of a gmc grill cuz i hit a hole and it went flyin out :haha:

14. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

It was a plow truck, so the grill has some spots that were cut out for the hoses/wires. The passenger headlight ring has a dent on the bottom. All the little stuff will be thrown up for "you pay for shipping". Frame is shot! It had a spreader on it. And I didn't get it.:( The fisher plow off it looks good powdercoated though!:D I'll be looking for 84 grill trim, so I'll keep my eyes open for the whole grill.

15. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

PM me when you part it out. I will happily take both of the headlight bezels. THe ones on my 79 are shot.

16. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I'll put the 79 on my thread in general parts for sale forum, so if you need little stuff, please look there. As for the headlight bezels, PM me i'll take them off anytime. If you want close up picks just ask in the othe thread.

17. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is it done yet? It's been warm, the drivetrain swap should be done by now right? take this week off from work and have it ready to wheel Paragon.

18. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: I didn't even bring it home yet! I have to borrow the rollback monday, or so, and go get it. Take this week off!?! How an I gotta pay for her? I got too many projects, not enough $. I'll have her done for the next trip. I was thinking, 56 springs out back, 52 up front? Soon as she gets here, the torches come out!

19. Xtremegmc80

Xtremegmc80 1/2 ton status Premium Member

is it home yet? as i recall i dont think its home yet. i will gladly help u bring it home, u need help, let me know! im only 15 miles from you!:waytogo:

20. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

X2 the motor should be in by now. are you going to have it ready for Bloomsburg?