Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

found out my problem gov loc is broken

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chvymudin3388, Sep 15, 2006.

1. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

my gov loc as some of you know has teeth missing on the spider gear on the left side. i was wandering if i found another govloc if i could take the spider gears from it and swap them in to mine. also is it possible to do this with out taking the carrier out of the truck. i dont want too mess with ne of the backlash or pinion depth. another thing wat spline are my axles? its a 87 10 bolt rear end and wat other years are these in? does it have to be out of a four wheel drive?

..... gov loc carrier is cracked i guess i caught it before it got too bad......

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

You can take the spider gears from one 10 bolt gov lok and put in another as long as the spline count is the same. I'm pretty sure yours is still 27 spline so anything from '80 up to '88 or so should work. To do this you will need to dissasemble the guts of the gov lok which I imagine you could do without removing the carrier.

3. chvymudin3388

ok thanks, another thing does any one know what could have caused this? ive been doing ALOT of mudding. its the first time weve had this much rain, everyones been mudding and ive pulled out three trucks. and for the record k5 owners ive never been stuck :) lol theres one thing i can be proud about for my truck lol.

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

id imagine it's at least partially because of the way the govlock is designed. it differentiates until it detects a difference of 100rpm between the 2 tires...then it locks. if you can imagine the inertia generated by a tire spinning in the mud and then that shock being transferred to a non or slow moving tire, you can see how that would be hard on stuff.

that gov lock is a time bomb.

5. chvymudin3388

yea i kno it is lol but im looking for the easiest way out

6. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Like MattK said, it's chiefly related to energy buildup prior to locking. If you want a Gov-Bomb to live, you've gotta take it easy on the throttle. Easing into the RPM's will help avoid shock loading on the assembly (somewhat). Unfotunately, this practice doesn't go along very well with mudding, where we typically just stomp on it.

7. chvymudin3388

well i dont know what to do now. i cant seem to find any spider gears. does any body know where i can get them? junkyards only want to sell the whole rear end

8. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Why not just get a new rear end? I don't know about your area, but you can get perfectly good ones cheeeeeep around most parts of the country. If you stay with the same setup, you should be able to find a Gov-Locked 10 bolt for $50 or less...not that I'd choose that setup if I were gonna throw in a replacement.

I don't wanna dog your equipment - there are just stronger choices out there for not much money if you look around.

9. chvymudin3388

the jerks round here want anywhere from 250 to 400 for a 10 bolt rear end pisses me off bad. i found a 12bolt but they want 250 for it and im broke. iw ant to throw a 14 bolt in a semi float even any thing but the same stuff but like i said im broke

10. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

this is the wrong hobby for broke dudes.

on second thought i supposed it is, cuz it makes everyone broke :haha:

11. chvymudin3388

yea this is why i am broke lol i just dumped a grand in my 350 rebuilt it and all lmfao that was 3 weeks ago lmfao