Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

found out why i was pooring out ATF yesterday...take a look

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Aug 12, 2002.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Well I found out why I was loosing a mega amount of ATF from my truck yesterday. The 2 top bolts on my 700 pulled themselves out; no threads left and the 2 bottom bolts are loose. Well it looks like I no choice but to order the Doubler and get my 400/203/205 together sooner then planned. Anyone want to buy my 700r4??? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

<font color="red"> Here are the 700r4 pics </font color>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

oops ouch that sucks /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">You should have seen how fast it was pouring out /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif . Theres a film of ATF on the whole front of my truck

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ya i bet there is lol /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Take the TC out, jam the output shaft in the ground, so the bellhousing and dust cover are facing the sky, and tell your neighbors it's bird bath /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like you have your mind made up on how to go about fixing it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    No need to tell you how you can fix that for about $30 with a set of helicoils. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Grim, I have all of the parts except for the doubler at this point. The only thing I will miss is the OD in the 700r4. If I have to take out the 208, it is staying out and while that is out I might as well drop the tranny, put helicoils on all 4 corners, then sell it and put the $ towards the Doub. Plus, I am thinking about running Tellico in October with guys and want to be as stout as I can possibly be. Thanks for the input. Pete.

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Damn! I put studs up top, so hopefully I won't have that problem /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif.

You're making the right decision /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    Boss

9. Grim-Reaper

So how much you want for the tore up 700 and 208? My wifes no over drive 3.73 and 31 inch truck sure would be styling with over drive /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I might have a local guy interested in the tranny. If no one buys it soon I will let you have it for a good price. I might be coming down for the Tellico run, so if it does not sell and you can wait I will bring it down with me if I go.

11. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Do you know what caused it to happen? Did you smack a rock with the t case or bottom your front drive shaft? Did you have the tcase to bellhousing strap on? Do you think the bolts loosened up then pulled out? Never liked the transfer case just hanging off the trans with 4 wimpy bolts.

12. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I did not have the tcase strap on and I was missing the driver side bellhousing strap; I should of installed the supports rods you gave me. This truck was so butchered by the last owner. The original 208 that was in the truck had a mixture of metric and standard bolts holding the slip yoke cone in place, and they even cut a groove in the metric bolts so they could thread themselves in, /forums/images/icons/confused.gif so when I drained the fluid there were shavings everywhere. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    There were no marks on the skid plate at all and I tapped the front drive shaft once; nothing major though. At one point I was hopping pretty good trying to get over some rocks and the impact definitely could of pulled them out. The doubler will be in before the end of September.

I heard you were doing really well on the trails on Saturday.

13. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

That really sucks when the previous owner has butchered stuff. You see that in some of the used car lots, crossmembers spaced with lug nuts, all kinds of stupid stuff. Let us know how the doubler works out, should be just the ticket for Paragon.
    I did ok, some rock rash on the drive shaft though. Wanted to go out with other K5's Sunday but nobody had shown up by 10:00am, so I went with out some Toyota's. Thanks to Wayne &amp; Donna for a good time and lets get more K5's next year!!!!

14. Grim-Reaper

Aluminum doesn't hold threads very well. I use to be into VW's and if you EVER pull the heads on those pancake motors you ALWAYS helicoil the studs.
    My bud did about the same thing...worse really. he had a 700 and 208 in a 72. He lanhced off a water bar came down on the front wheels. The motor mounts on the 1st gen will let the motor move any direction. They are not a clam shell like the second gen. So the motor goes so far foward that the rams horn manifolds hit the motor mount plates on the frame. broke the diverside clean off just above the collector. Put a good dent in the down pipe on the passenger side. Front axle went back under compression and bottomed out the drive shaft and knocked the case off the tranny. Looked about like yours does on three. The forth bolt took a chunk to the tranny with it right below the govoner.
    So he get's me over to his place to see what I though about how to fix it. I told him to go get a junk yard tranny and I would help him swap out his freash rebuilt guts. He didn't want to do that.
    He goes and get's some Heli coils and JB Weld. Calls me back and talks me into doing some redneck engineering.
    I drill out the bottom two holes as deep as I could. They go up into the tranny mount if it was a 2wd so I went twice as deep as the normaly are. Shavings were coming out of the holes for the 2wd mount I was so deep. I JB welded the chunk back in Put the Heli coil in as deep as I could to get into some solid area. Bolted it back together. I also made a plate off the 2wd mounting location and tied it into the 4wd mount on the adaptor. He drove it two more years like that and never had a problem. Sold it this spring to get Money for a Firmans SE Harley. That guy wheeled it for a for the summer and now has it for sale again. asking $9k.
    Its a pretty well built truck too. ARB's on both ends, 8274 on the front. The guy that built that tranny did it right. It was stout and took everything the engine could throw at it. THe motor is a 350 crate with Double humps on it (the good ones) fairly stout cam profile. I have seen him catch a water bar and romp on it and carry the front wheels a good 20-25 feet. Henry was a little crazy.