Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

found out you do not put subs in metal boxes!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by supersize75, Dec 2, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

friend and I did this last week, sub is dead, alpine type-r

the constant magnetic pull ruins the coil or some thing, also have heard similar stories now,

thay do use this in comp, but for short periods of time,

so back to the drawling board for my box /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    friend and I did this last week, sub is dead, alpine type-r

the constant magnetic pull ruins the coil or some thing, also have heard similar stories now,

thay do use this in comp, but for short periods of time,

so back to the drawling board for my box /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

A metal box is not "magnetic".....what the hell about the box caused catastrophic voicecoil failure???

3. supersize75

are you shure? I want to be positive before I build one, this is what I was told, so I should be ok?

this was with the sub pointed strait up in a convertable if that makes any difference...no load such a floor or dash to bounce off of.

educate me /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

even if it does cause a problem, no biggie, make it out of aluminum.

j

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

There isn't even enough information in your description to understand what the so-called experts have discovered.

Conceptually it makes NO sense. The SPEAKER has a huge magnetic field around it, not the box. That magnet structure is being used to focus a magnetic field around the voicecoil of the speaker....the electrical input to the speaker causes the voicecoil to be magnetized, and then move relative to that fixed magnetic field around it. This is all happening "deep within the speaker" which makes it even LESS plausible that any type of external forces can have an effect on it.

BTW -> Most of the speaker frames I've seen are MADE of metal. Seems strange that the manufacturers would use a material that will become "magnetized" and ruin things.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Sorry for the rant, it's not really focused at you....it's for all the people who propogate this kind of misinformation. It confuses the heck out of other enthusiasts who are just trying to learn the right way of doing things.

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I could maybe see one possiblity of a metal box ruining a speaker. It doesn't really apply to just metal though. If the box was made out of thin material, like sheet metal /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif it would probably kill a speaker pretty quick. It would be like not using a box at all or worse.

That's all I can think of /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. supersize75

I am going to ask him for more info on it today..will let ya know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

The metal asspect of it doessn't matter. It's the thinkness or gauge of the metal that matters relaative to the amount of air the speaker or sub is going to move. For instance I would imagine you're trying to stay as small as possible, I will also assume that your housing a sub (I'll refer to it being a 12" sub). If a 12 moves 1.5 cu. feet, as an example, and you have 1.5 cu. feet within the box that is ideal however, if the metal being used isn't rigid enough relative to the force being used to move the air it is going to move in and out creating an awful sounding rattle. Which actually sounds as if you've blown your sub almost or it will give a popping sound every time the speaker moves. It has nothing to do with magnetics and the need for the lack of as pointed out above. You simply need a bit more air space combined with a more rigid structure. Build one out of 1/4 inch and youy won't have this problem, however, the weight is obsurd! HAHA /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif No really if your useing 18 ga. try 14 or 16 maybe. Or you can make a better structure. It's like trying to suck the air out of an empty plastic pop bottle, pretty easy, try an empty pop can and it is possible but is much thougher not due to the thin metal but the rigidity.(Is that a word?) It's a stronger structure. Good Luck.

Use underlayment and be done with it.

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

better yet if your gonna use metal put some small ridges in it to give it support. Look at metal building for example. 28 gauge metal, but the ridges give this stuff a lot of strength. Now there are other aspects such as the way it's fastened and the structure beneith but still. Any metal fab will tell you ridges in teh metal will help with strenth, rather than a flat panel.