Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

found planes buried in iraq

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Sep 25, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Taken from snopes (is this a repost?)

The al Taqqadum air field west of Baghdad in Iraq, a sandy wasteland surrounded by high dunes off the main Baghdad-to-Jordan highway, was the focus of intense search-and-destroy activity after the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003; its vast desert spaces were thought to be a likely location for missile launchers or aircraft from which chemical or biological strikes against U.S. troops might be launched.

What military search teams eventually found at al Taqqadum, in July 2003, were remnants of the Iraqi Air Force as pictured above: a reported 30 to 40 planes, including several MiG-25 and Su-25 ground attack jets, buried more than 10 feet beneath tons of soil and covered with camouflage netting. According to the Pentagon, at least one of the MiG-25s was found because searchers spotted its twin tail fins protruding from the sand. Some of the planes had been wrapped in plastic sheeting to protect their electronics and machinery from the sand (and some had had their wings removed), but others were interred with little or no protection from the sand or the elements. The recovery teams had to use large earth-moving equipment to uncover the aircraft.

The discovery at al Taqqadum was not announced to the public until a month later, in a press briefing delivered by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld:

WASHINGTON, Aug. 6, 2003 — American forces have found Russian fighter jets buried in the Iraqi desert, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said in an Aug. 5 press briefing.

"We'd heard a great many things had been buried, but we had not known where they were, and we'd been operating in that immediate vicinity for weeks and weeks and weeks . . . 12, 13 weeks, and didn't know they were (there)," Rumsfeld said.

The secretary said he wasn't sure how many such aircraft had been found, but noted, "It wasn't one or two."

He said it's a "classic example" of the challenges the Iraqi Survey Group is facing in finding weapons of mass destruction in the country.

"Something as big as an airplane that's within . . . a stone's throw of where you're functioning, and you don't know it's there because you don't run around digging into everything on a discovery process," Rumsfeld explained. "So until you find somebody who tells you where to look, or until nature clears some sand away and exposes something over time, we're simply not going to know.

"But, as we all know," he added, "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Dont know if its a repost but it's old news for sure...sorry man /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i know it said march, just didnt know if ck5 got to see it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. big pappa b

not just march but march 2003. Just before we went in

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif o well, i'll let it stay up, rather than delete it i guess... wow, this is the first i've read of it.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. big pappa b

sure thin...BTT then /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

ttt ...I'm a trend follower

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

QQQ I'm a trend setter... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

PPP

I had to go /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

ZZZ /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I don't remember if it got here, I remember seeing pics over on PBB.

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It's a repost Branndon is such a loser... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    QQQ I'm a trend setter...

[/ QUOTE ]

You owe me, I totally keep setting you up! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Your the Abbott to my Costello.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah that funny any more pics?

who knows what elce is out there. and were they covered in dirt or did the desewrt just over take them?

Question for all. i hurd a 20/20 like programe about a huge subway in bagdad that was built but never put in to use, and they were talking about how it could be used to hide/move weponds or to excape.

so i am not on top of the news all the time but i never hurd anything about this. anyone know anything of interest?

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    who knows what elce is out there

[/ QUOTE ]

My personal feeling is that all the WMD's, and probably some other nasty surprises (mass graves, other weapons), are under the sand out there somewhere. Saddam and his boys had plenty of advance warning to stash this stuff...

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My personal feeling is that all the WMD's, and probably some other nasty surprises (mass graves, other weapons), are under the sand out there somewhere. Saddam and his boys had plenty of advance warning to stash this stuff...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always felt the same way. I wouldn't be surprised if it took 5 years of searching to find anything. It's not like we're searching someone's back yard here. We're talking about basically searching the entire state of california, that was being run by a fairly rich government that could probably afford to hide what he wanted to hide.

Now I'm thinking... Osama's family is in construction in Saudi Arabia... What if Osama hired out his family to Hussein, and hid tons of stuff under the desert? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif