Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found! Rubber brake lines for 14b disc conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Just wanted to make a quick post about this for the archives. After searching through the catalog for 30 minutes at my local parts store (Winchester Auto, the best parts store in the south bay) I found the perfect rubber brake lines to go from the hard line to the caliper on the 14 bolt disc conversion. Raybestos part number is BH38648 and BH38647. There is a left and right side, but either will work for either side. The only difference is a really minor offset on the hole in the banjo fitting. They are real short, 8" long overall, have the banjo on one end and a 3/16" female flare on the other. The banjo fits in my non-metric calipers perfectly.

Two details to fill in on these, and then I will add the info to the disk swap thread. First, do Caddy calipers take the same fitting as the regular 1/2 and 3/4 ton calipers? Second, will this banjo fitting work on the later metric calipers as well as the older non metrics? </font color>

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Not sure what fitting is on my calipers(i'm using ford t-bird w/ebrake)I'll check in the AM, cause I'll be needing them...

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Hey Evan, what do those hoses fit? I can't get them to cross to anything.

I really need some short hoses for my rear discs, preferably for a metric banjo bolt. I tried getting some for a Chevette and I keep getting the run-around about them not being made anymore or some crap.

I went to Napa to buy the ones you used yesterday and they wanted $18 plus I'd have to wait two days. That's freaking rediculous. I paid less than that for the ones I got for front lines at Advance that are 25" long and have a goofy bracket.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I used 78 3/4 ton front brake hoses. Little long nut they aren't in the way of anything.

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

How long is long?

I'm aiming for like 12" or shorter. I have my stocker hoses which are 19.5" long that are still good but that's a little too much rubber in my opinion. I'd like to have the connection before the line goes under the spring perch.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Just out of curiousity, why not just use the hose kit from azkickin? That is what i'm using.

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just out of curiousity, why not just use the hose kit from azkickin? That is what i'm using.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.....and you get the wicked billet bracket and all the hardware. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

$55 plus shipping plus two weeks of my time. My truck is still sitting on jackstands right now with the axles disassembled and it needs to be moving under its own power by Monday.

The hoses look like ones you get from Napa for $13.99 to which application I do not know. They look like the one oddball Chevette one I ran across. The hardware can be found in MotorMite's catalogs for around $10. It's a great kit but I don't have the time to waste waiting for it.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I don't have a damn clue what they fit, I found them by browsing though the Raybestos catalog for 45 minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got Wagner Part # F-97661 for the rubber line on mine. They fit the Caddy calipers very nicely. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Another option

After getting pissed off because the earliest anyone could get Evan's lines was two days I decided to look into other options.

I looked into getting Chevette (I chose 1984) lines since they're only $15.50/each and ~12" long. Only one place had a (as in 1) line.

I looked into LeMans lines but no one had them and they were $23.99. They're a bit long anyway.

Then it dawned on me. GM's A-body (Monte Carlo, Regal, Cutlass, et cetera) all have obnoxiously wide frames so they should have short control arms and short brake hoses. So I crawled under my Mom's 86 Monte Carlo SS and sure enough they're short. Around 9". So I call up Napa expecting them not to have them... but they did! And they were only $11.49/each! They also have an anti-kink sleeve on them on the banjo end.

I'll get part numbers and measurements to you guys sometime in the next week or so. I'm still trying to get my ducks in a row after completely rebuilding front and rear ten bolts, doing a lift, and converting to discs.

12. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

I havent been here in ages, so I figured I would dig up an old thread

What lines (application or part #) are you guys using with regular front calipers instead of those caddy calipers? I just switched from caddys to 75 K10 fronts. I had TSM stainless lines on the caddys but the hardlines froze in them (been on there for almost 5 years) and I would rather get something from the parts store than wait for more TSM lines

Thanks!

13. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

When I did my conversion I couldn't find a store that had two of anything in stock. So I used one from a mid 70s chevelle and one from a mid-70s camaro. There was about a 2" difference IIRC and they were much shorter than the 4wd truck front hoses.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used my old front lines...nothing better than the obvious solution. It's all how you route them and where you end the hard line.

Rene

PS, good to see you here again Chris...how ya been? :xmas:

15. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Try 84 Chevy Cavilier front hoses for a metric banjo bolt. They are 12 inches or so and cheap.

16. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I used part # BH86572. At O'Reillys they were $12.49 each. They are for a 1979 Chevette and are the same for each side.

me: I need front brake hoses for a '79 Chevette.

O'Reilly guy: Are you serious?

me: What do you mean?

O'Reilly guy: A '79 Chevette?

me: Yes. Why?

O'Reilly guy: I have worked here for two years and have never looked up a
    part for a Chevette. (laughing) I didn't think that there were any of them left on the road!

I then felt like a geek for asking for Chevette parts, but at least I can stop good now.

17. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

hahaha yeah i know what you mean! the guys at the parts store expect me to always ask for weird stuff! They should have the 84 cavalier hoses so I will try those too...

Rene - I tried some 85 K5 front lines, but I couldnt find a way to make the hardline section work with my coilovers They are pretty far outboard on my axle. Things have changed on my 14 bolt a little over the past year :grin:

I have been pretty good. You may remember the telephone pole I hit 2 years ago on the ice in my 71. Well, the frame got worse and worse and eventually I ripped the shock towers and spring mounts through the frame wheelin it It was unrepairable. The fire wall and bedsides were also starting to crack around the floor, and my rock sliders ripped right off the rockers the first time they touched a rock. The Smittybilt cage was the only thing holding the truck together. I got a running and driving, straight rust free, fully loaded 88 wrangler for a song a year ago. I ripped it down to the frame, put everything between the radiator cap and lugnuts on ebay and made almost $2k back. By the time I got done selling what I didnt need, I got a straight body and frame for free and made $1500 selling what I didnt need. I used the engine, D60/14 bolt axles, 38s and a few other parts from the Blazer. I'm just wraping up the build now (brake lines, driveshafts ect). Here is the buildup thread on Pirate4x4 http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220389. Last time I talked to you, you had swapped in a 6.2 and drove it to Moab and back. How have you been since then?

18. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

BTT

I tried the Monte carlo brake hoses. Just FYI for those who find this thread in the future. The monte carlo hoses are for the smaller 10mm Banjo bolt used with chevy 10 bolt calipers. The 7/16" banjo bolt on a D 44 caliper won't fit them.
    :(

Going to try the ones shaggy posted and the chevette ones.

19. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I used the '79 Chevette brake lines too. They are short and work great. They were super cheap too. $9 bucks each.

20. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I actually prefer to use a longer line since it lets you loop over the spring and back down to the housing instead of shooting underneath. I also like having a little extra line when you remove the caliper to give you some room to put it somewhere out of the way. Not that you really have to remove the calipers on a 14FF much.
    We spec'd our line kits at 16" because of these reasons. The 14FF in Wally still has the stock late 70's rubber lines because they haven't quit working yet.