Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found some axles for sale...Need advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tackettb, Jul 26, 2002.

1. tackettb

tackettb Registered Member

Ok I found two different sets for axles both dana 44 fronts with 8 lugs and 14b rears one says 4.10's and the other says 4.11's. Both would suit me. The ads say nothing about condition. Both listed as $500/set. My questions are, What should I look out for on these? Is this a fair price?(seems reasonable from what I have seen)., What should I ask about these?, If these need seals and bearings, how much would it be? Thanks.

2. tackettb

Re: Found some axels for sale...Need advice

damn nobody has any advice? or is this just covered all too often? thanks anyway.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Fill out your profile a little more.....what year vehicle are these for?

You may not know this, but the spring pad width is different between the early K5's and the later models. Depending on the "donor vehicle" the spring perches may line up perfectly, or you may have to cut them off and relocate them.....AFAIK this is only a rear axle issue, I don't remember hearing about people having spring pad width issues on D44 fronts.

Avoid "Closed Knuckle" D44's (They are OLD) and if you are considering going to a crossover steering setup, it will be nice to find a D44 with a flat top passenger-side knuckle.....you'll need that flat surface to mount the crossover steering arm.

That's a few things to consider, but please fill out the profile and tell us a little more about what you're trying to do......the answers will start coming! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

do the 73-79 3/4ton D44 have closed knuckles?

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

No 73 up are all open but some of the 73's ran a smaller ujoint than the newer ones. You can swap the shafts to get the bigger joint but unless they were free I would skip them.
    I would also skip the external locking hub models. Those are usualy through about 74 and odds are the small joints. Get the ones that have the hub like the ones on your half ton axle. They are the same locking hub as your 10 bolt runs. Also if you didn't know you can take the sprindle, hubs and backing plate off a 8 lug and it will bolt on to your existing half ton axle if you already have the gears you want to run in that axle it might be a good option and then you just need to get the rear axle you want. There is a write up on the conversion by Waxer in the tech section on the main CK5 page.

6. tackettb

Ok these are for my '83 GMC sierra classic. I have a broken carrier in the rear 10 bolt. I'm currently running 33's with 3.42's and a 700r4. My thinking is that this dana 44 eight lug and 14b ff with 4.11's will do nicely with some 35" tires on my rig. The guy said that the axels were off of a 79 truck. Does it sound like these are the right stuff for my rig?

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good place to start, but be sure to take your time when checking out the axles you want to buy. Pull the diff covers and look for metal shavings in the gear oil and case, broken or worn ring gear or pinion teeth, condition of the axleshafts, brakes, etc. Good luck.

8. Grim-Reaper

4.10's, 33's and a 700r4 are a real good combo. 35's are going to have it hunting a little in and out of OD but not near as bad as the 3.42 and 33's. Should be a pretty good set up. 79 will be a good year for the doaner parts but my bet is the front axle is a 10 bolt not a D44.

9. tackettb

what's the easiest way to I.D. the dana 44? I know what the 10b's look like, but I wanna be sure because I'm far from knowledgable in this area.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

4.11s and 35s will suck with a 700R4. If you want 35s, get your gears changed to 4.56s.

11. tackettb

What's the stock tire size for an '83 Blazer? I was guessing 31". And looking at this chart http://rough.roughcountry.com/Gear%20Ratio%20Guide.htmlooks like 4.11's and 35's would atleast get me closer to what my rig was stock, but I suppose if i wanted stock, I wouldn't be buyin' new axles anyway.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the 10 bolt cover, you know what that looks like...
    the dana 44 is pretty much the same dif other then the centre section, so dif cover has the traditional dana shape and bolt spacing.
    there will be some metal paste in a used dif.
    definitely do the 14ff swap, one of the, if not the, best light truck rear difs
    issues you have to address is
    8 lug 16"+ rims or grinding to fit 15"s
    driveshaft/ujoints

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

cause what i have now is a 1/2ton D44(full-time) and a 12bsf with 3/07's and i wanna swap to 3/4ton D44(full-time) and a 14bff with 4.10's...the 14b will be somewhat easy to find, was just wondering about the 3/4ton D44 in which vehicles to look.

14. Grim-Reaper

The Colorado K5 axle guide /forums/images/icons/smile.gif You really should snoop around that front page some. There is a bunch of good stuff in that tech section.
    http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

15. Grim-Reaper

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    4.11s and 35s will suck with a 700R4. If you want 35s, get your gears changed to 4.56s.

[/ QUOTE ] He has a deisel so it won't be quite that bad for him just because of the low end torque. Still going to put a little load on the 700. Needs to get a BIG cooler on that booger for sure.