Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FOUND!!!! THE $100 DANA 60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Nov 22, 2002.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Yes--i have found the $100 Dana 60--complete hub to hub

<font color="red"> But it is out of a ford /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font color>

oh well--me and a friend went in on it and no matter what well still make $$ on it

ahhhh the benifits of living in a border town /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i am going to make a voodoo doll of you.... grrrrrr...

is it a HP?

3. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I paid $142.00 for mine....honest, and it's a GM too!

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I got mine for $75! Rocko will back me on that too! Anyways, sounds good! Good steal!

5. You all make me sick, I paid $150 for a rusted heep of garbage that needed a compleet rebuild and I thought I got a good deal. Nice find!

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

LOL looks like i shoulda shopped around a lot more, Mine cost me $900. It came, minus the hubs, wheel studs, tie rod, diff cover bolts, steering arm. It had Warped rotors, it was painted baby blue, and to top it off it was out of a dodge.. My bad.........

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Okay! All you guys that stole your 60's from somebody that didn't know what they were, tell the truth about what it cost to put them under your K5 in working condition. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I paid $1250 for my D60...but it was complete including hubs and all the trinkets that are needed. It also only has 40,000 miles on it. I figured I came out even in comparison to spending less initially and having to rebuild it...

Rene

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Jesus H Christ...

I wonder how many of you who spent $1k+ for your D60's actually NEED the 60. I've been running a D44 for almost 4 years now and no breakage at all. I have a nice soft foot and still make all the obstacles that others make. Only thing I have bent was that cheesy Avalanche arm. Otherwise it has been trouble free. *knock on wood*

I just cant see the justification for spending so much for something that quite honestly isn't needed by the majority.

Now if you have a heavy foot and cant control it, have HP up the wazoo, and break shafts every weekend then perhaps its time to look at what YOU are doing and can do different to stop breaking so many parts. The answer isn't always bigger/stronger.

10. i just bought my 60/14b combo /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif for 900, complete from 1990 k30 crecab

11. Waxer

Now that to me sounds worth it. YOu got a matching combo out of a fairly new vehicle for less than $1k.

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I like to build mine up so I DONT break. I never broke my D44 but I still went the way of the 60 just so I don't.
    Maybe some guys really like doing trailside repairs. I have done it and much prefer to work on it in the driveway and just drive it with no breakage.
    -- Mike

13. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

I think I have you all beat.I traded a stock HEI distributor that was given to me for a D60.Then turned around and traded it for a new in the box ARB for the front 60 that I already have under my truck that I bought in a deal for a 60 and a 70 with lockers and 5.86s for $1500. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Jesus H Christ...

I wonder how many of you who spent $1k+ for your D60's actually NEED the 60.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 things.

Number one: 60:1 crawl, diesel torque, 39.5's and rocks. I would like to not spend my 'wheeling time' wrenching in BFE thanks.

Number two: I could have dropped over 1K into a D44 and still had a weaker front diff...but I guess that would have been OK with you? Maybe next time I make a purchase for my project I should run it by you first to see if it's OK?? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Rene

15. Waxer

hey do as you please. Different strokes for different folks. I just laugh how many here think its a D60 or break parts when that just isn't the case.

Whats with you getting all cranky from my opinion too? Do you feel offended by my opinions on the 60? Just wondering what got to you cause after re-reading my post, I said nothing to offend you. Geesh

16. tRustyK5

This was what pissed me off...

[re: tRustyK5]

[/ QUOTE ]

In future if your opinion is general click reply to the original poster. I felt it was a critism directed at my decision to go one ton. As I already stated I think I have enough reason to justify the expense or I wouldn't have bothered to shell out the money. If I drove a mall cruising show truck I would have to concede you likely have a good point...but I don't.

Rene

17. Waxer

Well I don't bother to pay attention to who is last when I click reply. You were the last post, the closest reply button was there, and thats how I've always done it since before 2000. I'm not going to change it. If I am to follow your directions and click on the original poster, then I'll get him getting all pissed over a "click". No thanks. Lighten up a bit please.

My statements however were general and that should have been obvious that I wasn't pointing anyone out.

As I said in the post, "I wonder how many of you...." NOT, I wonder how many of you like Rene...."

18. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Now if you have a heavy foot and cant control it, have HP up the wazoo, and break shafts every weekend then perhaps its time to look at what YOU are doing and can do different to stop breaking so many parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was my understanding that the whole point in modifying your vehicle was to make it do what you wanted it to do. I can very easily break a stock Blazer. I could change my driving habits so that I would not. But then what's the point? I will agree that lots of people do not need the 60. However, some of us do because of what we enjoy doing in our vehicle.

19. tRustyK5

Well replying to posts 'correctly' (believe it or not the majority of us do that...) lessens the confusion somewhat. If you can't be bothered maybe a short disclaimer that the following remarks are not aimed at anyone in particular would help.

I found this comment to be particularly humerous...
    The answer isn't always bigger/stronger.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I should go back to half ton junk, an NP208 with slip yoke and maybe the stock 305 the truck came with and just modify my driving habits? Maybe I should put crappier brakes on too and just modify the way I use that pedal while I'm at it?
    Can you honestly say you haven't added a stronger more durable part to your truck?
    Can you honestly say you enjoy trail repairs?
    Do you honestly believe that any D44 or 10 bolt will survive with 38"+ tires and terrain to match?

Funny how I've never heard anyone say they regretted buying a D60 for their truck...yet I have heard people bitch about how stupid they were to sink mega $$ into a D44 or 10 bolt only to have it break anyways.

Rene

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Well, I paid $1200 for a D60 and 14 bolt that had been rebuilt a year before, then spent another $1700 on an ARB, 5.13s and 35 spline outers for the 60.

I did need mine though, I beefed my 44 as much as possible after breaking shafts and u-joints regularly, but then I started breaking ring gears. After two of them I decided to cut my losses, part out the 1/2 ton beef and go 1 ton. Still haven't quite got it installed yet, but I'm sure that I'll never look back, aside from the extra 300 pounds or so that I added to my truck...

I had a light foot also, BTW.

Funny how I've never heard anyone say they regretted buying a D60 for their truck...yet I have heard people bitch about how stupid they were to sink mega $$ into a D44 or 10 bolt only to have it break anyways.

[/ QUOTE ] </font color>

<font color="green"> Amen to that. </font color>