Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FOUND THE LEAK I'M AFRAID TO ASK WHAT IT IS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TB2Blazer, May 29, 2003.

1. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

FOUND THE LEAK I\'M AFRAID TO ASK WHAT IT IS

I found the leak it is coming from the engine. I took the manifold off and started it up and sure enough oil started leaking from the exhaust ports on the engine it was spewing it out and dripping down the engine. Whats wrong with the engine blown head gasket, need a new engine? I'm afraid to ask.

2. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Re: FOUND THE LEAK I\'M AFRAID TO ASK WHAT IT IS

Probably the best thing to do is get a leak down test done on your engine, but from the sounds of it - I'd guess worn valve guides and seals.

My Jimmy is using a LOT of oil, at one point it fouled the #8 plug and on start up, the truck would literally barf oil right out the tailpipe...

3. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I second that valve guides and seals most likely.
    -fLeXy K20

4. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

Sounds like heads to me... Maybe...

I'd start by pulling the heads off and see what the tops of the pistons look like. In a perfect engine you should see black carbon deposited evenly across the tops of the pistons. If there's clean spots under the intake valve (on the top of the piston) then its probably getting past the guide. If its got a clean ring all around the circumference of the piston, then its getting oil past the rings.

Usually when its guides, its coming past the intake, becuase on the induction stroke its sucking the oil past the guide. It tends to blow the oil out of the exhaust guide (back up into the valve cover area) on the exhaust stroke. Also if its guides, it should be puffing blue smoke on start up. Rings usually puff all the time...

Another thing you see on Chevy small blocks a lot of the time is having an intake manifold gasket failure, especially with aluminum intake manifolds. If they break up on the bottom side down in the lifter valley, they'll suck oil through there.

At any rate, puking oil out of the exhaust isn't a good thing... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Yep... puking a couple quarts of oil a month is bad. I was thinking of just getting the heads rebuilt - valves, springs, guides, seals, etc - but what I have been told is "If you seal up the top end, the bottom end will go". For now, I have just put a hotter plug in #8 to keep it from fouling as quick and plan on driving it until I can afford to get the engine rebuilt. I know, I know... the poor environment and my blue smoke billowing beast (Usually just on startup and high load). If I were all that concerned about the environment though, I probably wouldn't have bought an 12MPG/5000lbs vehicle to begin with. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif