Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Found the weak link in the 465 swap..........

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Zeus33rd, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

It turns out to be the manual linkage. I was out wheelin in the rain and mud. I had made several runs through one pit...the last time I got crossed up in the ruts...So I had to work at it to get out. I heard a loud POP from under my feet, the pedal went to floor and I was in about 2 feet of mud/water. Starting to snow too. I couldn't see the linkage from underneath cause the water was too deep....So I looked at it from under the hood. The threaded rod that engages the release arm had bent to a 90* angle. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Luckily I was about 1/2 mile from the junk yard, so I walked down there and got the parts I needed to fix it....Used the phone to call a buddy to yank me out so I could work on it. I was soooooo cold that I think I coulda cut my finger off and not felt it. And to top it all off, I lost my new Mag-Lite that my girlfriend gave me for X-mas. That upset me more than anything cause she gave it to me. I actually borrowed a metal detector, and went out the next day and found it....In about 2 feet of mud. Took it home, cleaned it up, put new batteries in it, and it works good as new.

So the moral of the story is....GO HYDRO. I'm going to ASAP. I've almost never been as miserable and cold as I was when I had to lay in the mud at night under my truck and fix that $hit. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Testing in real world conditions.

Y'all gonna get all the bugs worked out by Frank Raines and it will be time for ya to get it awn. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Zeus33rd

My biggest goal for Frank Raines is to somehow get some kinda mud tire. I've got the gayest AT tires you've ever seen now....:cough:SportKings:cough: I don't really care what brand of tire....Just as long as it's atleast 35" tall. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

See ya should have stayed AUTO...LOL...J/K
    Stay away from the generals that I have ...I found another tear in the sheap a** 2 ply sidewalls...So they are going to get changed I hope before raines...Mike

5. Zeus33rd

If ya don't want them Generals.....I'll give'em a home. Plugs and all. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

One still with that plug and now I have 1 more with a tear in the sidewall and 1 with a rock in the tire ( I am not pulling it out) where the wheel weight clamp goes...(It is stuck under and in the tire there)
    So I am down to one good tire....I should have left the mud on and I would've never noticed it....lol

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yep, the mechanical linkages can be a bit of a bitch. I haven't had too many problems with mine, the only one was when the ballstud that screws into the tranny unscrewed itself and caused the clutch to only engage halfway. I ground the gears for half a day at Pismo intil it got bad enough that I knew something was not right and gave the linkage a once-over. Luckily the threads were still fine so I just had to screw it back in with some loctite and it's been fine since. </font color>

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

LOL!
    Yeah ya shoulda stayed with your slushbox firebomb! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Then ya wouldn't be having these problems.

Seriously though, thats kick ass walking to the junkyard to get the stuff you needed to fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    You'll get it all figured out and then it'll be time to break something at frank raines. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. Zeus33rd

Well, If I had stayed with the "slush box"...That probably woulda been another bombed tranny. I don't think I'd be hoofin it to the junk yard to get a new tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

As far as breakin stuff at Frank Raines...Thats a given. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

I have two 35" General Muds and one conti-trac mud. They all have the same tread pattern and all have good tread. I could measure the depth tomarrow. Buy one more general or buy the Conti that I sold nosmog and you would have a set.

11. Zeus33rd

What'cha want for'em? How much tread left?

12. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

The tires are at my parents so I'll measure the depth tomarrow. The two generals have a lot of tread and the Conti has a little less. Maybe $30 for the Conti and $100 for the two Generals.

13. Zeus33rd

Right on. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

MMMMmmmm Hydro. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yep I am going hydro oo, when I was on the Con everytime I twisted the truck I couldn't disengage my clutch anymore, so one place I was almost stuck and wanted to push in the clutch but wouldn't disengage so I turned the engine off, went down and adjusted it , drove off and then went back and readjusted it when it was on flat ground.
    Can't always do that so i guess hydro.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    About that rod, I made mine from a thick bolt that cannot bend that easy.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

I PM'd you about the tires. Let me know if you want them.

17. Zeus33rd

I want'em....Just don't have cash. When I do, and can spend it on tires, I'll let ya know. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i'm going hydro on mine too. manual linkage getting in way of shock towers. also to say when twisted up on rocks i can't use my clutch to shift. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

19. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

What do you need a clutch to shift for? The clutch is to get the truck rolling in normal use. On the trail just turn it off in gear. When you're ready to go again turn the key and you're off and going again. Simple. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well sometimes you have to back up don't you? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif