Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

found this amusing....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryoken, Dec 28, 2004.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

since my console is basically done, i decided to move onto my custom autometer dash. being that i have all the stuff and alot of time right now i figured why not.

well apon tearing it all out, i found out how the PO managed to fit the stereo where he did.. for those who don't remember, my dash before disassembly.

[​IMG]

had me laughing.... still trying to figure what the plastic was from.... someone should have taught him to plastic weld.. :smirk:

[​IMG]

no biggie, dash vents wont be going back in anyway.. so thats not being used..

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

the same spot!

My 74 K20 has a CB mounted where your stereo is!--and I had a 75 K5 with triple gauges mounted there as well--makes me wonder why GM didnt put the radio or gauges there--you can see them much better there than where they did put the radio...:crazy:

3. ryoken

funny thing is, i'm leaving the stereo there.. now its got a ton of room back there. and my girl likes the easy access...

i'm actually ending up with alot of extra space in the new dash without the 2 vents. really dont have anything to go where the radio is originally. i'm moving the 2 gauges down there, up to where the vent is above the heater..

thinking i may run a CB down there at some point... anybody got a manual, non tilt, no cruise column? :whistle:

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

it looks pretty clean really. I never even thought about putting one there though. I have often thought the radio could be further over.

5. ryoken

i see why he did it, with the width of the stereo and all. i'd really have to hack the frame down there to get it in. its about the full width of that flat section there.. actually i am removing alot of metal back there, just more up to the top. :whistle:

i would think that would be an issue with most K5's... i know when i look to put a CB there, i'll be looking for a narrower unit or just a handheld on the outside.

i just got a digital clock ( http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/nrd-m8009-g.jpg ) for x-mas, but i think thats going down in the console.. my bro in law hooked me up with that and a Pro comp oil temp to round out the dash gauges.

so right now its looking like 150 speedo and tach, fuel, volt, oil pres, oil temp, water temp, trans temp.. 4 on the left, speedo & tach center, 2 on the upper right.

doing it outta the same composite glass, black deal i did the console out of. should be pretty trick... then its on to the suspension in the spring when the mall terrains wear out. :rotfl: :woot: