Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

found what caused the leak in my Tcase, is it time to rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Jan 9, 2007.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

So, the chain was loose in my NP 208 and had been rubbing on the inside of the case and that's was caused the hole. There were typical metal shavings on the magnet and what looked like a broken off tips of gear teeth(only a few though).
    Should I change the sprockets and chain, slap it back together and run it? Or total rebuild?

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, you probably have another problem too. The chains are not adjustable, so I bet your thrust bearings have worn out/disappeared (this happened to my original TC in my Blazer), and allowed one of the shafts to wobble enough to wear out the hole in the case. For the cost of new sprockets and chain, I would just pull a 208 from a junkyard. If you are unsure about that one, then rebuild it. They are very easy to do. The Haynes manual for our trucks have a step by step disassembly/reassembly for the 208s.

If you do plan on keeping the one you have, definately go for a rebuild. At the least, a resealing kit. I bet when you tear into it, you will find a few other problems.

If you are looking for something to just drop in, I have a NP208 for sale in the classified section of this forum. Shipping would be a little much Im sure. Im sure at least a few others members have them for sale too.