Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Four wheel drive problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nad, Jul 16, 2006.

1. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Okay, I have a 1987 GMC Jimmy that I rarely wheel, and when I do, it's nothing but just little mud bogs, crawling over big logs, and simple pu$$y stuff. I'm sure I'm gonna get crap about all that, but anyway, when I engage my truck into 4LO it seems to randomly pop out at times. When it's in 4Lo, and I give it gas, it lags real bad like it's not engaged, then finally kicks in. Also, when it pops out, as I try to put it back into 4LO or up into 4HI, it grinds really bad and forces the shifter right back. Sometimes I have to actually turn the truck off to shift it from 4LO to 4HI or 2HI. The model of transfer case on the truck is the 208 C 2 with a freshly rebuilt 700R4 transmission. If anyone can give me any advice or diagnose my problem, I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance guys.

2. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

when you lifted the truck did you adjust/drop the Tcase? you might need to adjust the linkage!

3. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

No, I did not adjust or drop it at all. I thought that since it was a suspension lift and there was no body lift used, i wouldn't need to mess with that stuff. School me on it please...

4. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Also, it did the grinding before I lifted it, so I don't know if that would have anything to do with it.

5. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

You need to adjust the shift linkage for the t-case. The body will settle a little and move around with reltaiton to the frame over time.

I've had to adjust this on every Chevy I've owned.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The grinding is normal I always have to shift into park to get my tcase into or out of 4LO. You can try Neutral but parasitic drag will somtimes cause things in the tranny to keep spinning and still grind in the tcase.

Ira

7. ssped

yah it sounds like a simple adjustment of the shift linkage at the tcase. I always shift into 4wheel or low when rolling in neutral. since there are no syncros on there you have to manually mesh it into gear and it will always grind a little.

My 2cents only

8. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Well I'm not exactly sure how to adjust it. Can anyone explain to me how to adjust it properly into relation with my 4" lift? Thanks for any help you guys can provide. I feel like an idiot.

9. ssped

It is not hard. just hard to explain. from the tcase there is a shaft coming off the side that interconects with another shaft. loosen the nut on the conection joint to take the pressure off the joint and retighten. that is about the best I can describe it.

10. justice87

justice87 Registered Member

if all fails, a haynes or chiltons can be a big help

11. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

You was right, your lift has nothing to do with your transfer case grinding. But from time to time you need to adjust it.

12. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Well I checked the Haynes manual on adjusting it, and all that did was confuse me even more. Can someone break it down into simple steps or even post pics? I feel like such a newbie.