Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

four wheeler mag rant...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jan 27, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I haven't bought a magazine for a long time because they are full of crap these days...the only thing good in this issue was the RTCC and the hump and bump coverage... the rest is crap. They install a 8" lift on a super duty,have a test drive on a Nissan xterra, and have a project GX 470 "locking a lexus" Also, they have 4x4 dream rigs with a bunch of pictures of the rigs...the only one that I would ever "dream" about is the CTX truck, or the mastercraft buggy...the rest is 20" lift chrome rigs... I thought this was a 4x4ing magazine? A few years ago the magazine rocked, now it sucks...
    I guess the internet will be my only resource...which is fine, its free for me.

anyways...nice pics in the magazine Timmay!

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Xtreme Offroad you loser :D

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

All my subscriptions expired like 4 years ago and I haven't bought a single issue of any of them since. I can find any info that I need on the interweb anyways.:D

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I have a subscription to peterson's 4wheel & off road. I find their cheap truck challenge cool and refreshing. I do find some new tools/equip in there and parts etc that I do not see on the comp. So it's all good. But i agree with chrome show rigs and all. and who wants to wheel a lexus? let alone aford one...

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

There is a new magazine being published in Portland, OR now that is supposed to be very good. I don't know the name off the top of my head, but it is a bi-monthly mag with subscription only service.

7. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

when someone one don't leave thier password in thier computer at work I need to look at something so a dollar an issue for patterson or four wheeler ain't bad. Just dream of wheeling on the power lines without getting in trouble and all is good. Oh I can't sleep at work.:cool1:

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Huh????

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haha Xtreme Offroad Magazine

Thats what I was trying to say before Steve. XOM rocks, I only have the first issue but I like it better than Peterson's and FourWheeler so far. The magazine is more like a mini book, high quality paper, and the pictures look phenomenal compared to any Primedia stuff. http://www.xtremeoffroadmag.com/ I am anxiouslly awaiting issue 2. One kid in class read it and said "how can you have an offroad magazine without tire ads?" I just shook my head and said "thats the freaking point".

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oooh...I thought you were saying I was talking aboout extreme offroad mag. I haven't seen it before, I will check the site out. Sounds interesting. Thanks Allan!

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Couldnt agree with you more, I let my Fourwheeler and Four Wheel and Offroad expire, nothing in there worth mentioning. I will buy the current Fourwheeler off the newstand to read about RTC and Tim though :D

12. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

FW blows, but I think Petersen's is still worthy of back 'o the throne reading material. There's still enough real wheeling in there that it's not gone the way of FW and Offroad magazines (even though OR mag has some sick desert trucks in it).

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am going to keep my subscription to Peterson's. Its alright, Fourwheeler and Offroad went to the bottom of the bird cage long ago.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, XO rocks. If your tired of blinged out show trucks that look like they followed Doc Brown's DeLorean through a time warp from 1985 then XO is the rag for you. I have been reading Petersens and fourwheeler for 5 or 6 years now I guess and they are turning to crap. WAY to often they have the exact same coverage in both mags in the same month... and both have way to many blingtastic show trucks. Petersens is the better of those two... but they picked the IFS cherokee over the powerwagon for crying out loud. For those that don't want 36" lift chromed leaf springs, XO is your last printed refuge.

j

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Peterson's doesn't seem to do the show truck thing, what they do too often(IMO) is little nothing Jeeps and such. Jeeps that all they are is a full restoration with 2" of spring under lift and 31s. Wtf is that?

16. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Sounds like a Jeep with a full restoration and 2" of spring under lift and 31s :thumb:

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

From what you guys are saying I will probably get a subscription as soon as I can get the mney.
    Thanks!

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

don't make me come over there.... yeah right I feel like crap and the idea of jeepers is making me want to puke...