Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fourwheel drive indicator light?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Oct 20, 2000.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

is there one for my 75 blazer and if so where?
    Thanks!!

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

3. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I have a 74 and I don't have any such light. If you are wheeling in the dark just take a flash light and shine it down on the transfer case lever and then you can tell if you are in 4 wheel drive or not! Just kidding.
    I think there is a little light under the dash right below the ashtray and above the shift lever. Mine was not wired up so I just took it out.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I don't know about the 2nd gen Blazers, but on the 3rd gen, there is a light in the instrument cluster. All it does is indicate that a switch has closed in the transfer case. I'm not sure that the 205 and 203 even had any wires coming out of them.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Where would the wire hook up to a 208? I had my tranny done around five years ago and the light hasn't worked since..........maybe they just forgot to plug it back in????

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Yuppie light or not, I love that light. I'm very forgetfull when it comes to disengaging the 4wd. Not to mention the 205 shifter doesn't really tell you much between 2 hi and 4 hi. There's a spring loaded ball like switch that mounts on the t-case. The ball makes contact with something inside the t-case shorting the two wires. The switch just screws in in the t-case. I don't see why you couldn't make your own by just getting the switch from a salvage yard and making your own light from a LED and a 1k resister (12v bulb would work too). I had this in my 79, 80 and 87. I'm not sure what year they started this.

BTW- 79 had a 203, 80 had a 205, and the 87 had a 208. My 87 K5 now has the 80 205.

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Its the same part number for the 205 or the 203 it replaces the detent ball, spring and plug.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

75 didn't have a light as far as I'm aware. My 75 has no wires or bracket to hold the switch. Now somewhere around 77-78 the 203's got a light to let you know the center diff was locked. it is controled by a button on the shifter. My 79 has it. The button looks pretty close to the button from the brake lights under the dash. it has the same locking collar deal to adjust it that always gives it up after a few years. Small radiator clamp fixes both the shifter as well as the brake light switch.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

9. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Found out that I've got one when I pulled the dash apart last week. Figured I'd try to locate the sensor this weekend to see if it will work. One of the many pleasures of a used 4x4 is the neverending chance to fix things!

Smitty