Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fourwheel drive not working on 94 Yukon?!?!

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by OffRoader93, Jan 5, 2006.

1. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

The fourwheel drive is not working on my 94 GMC Yukon. The transfer case is engaging and spinning the driveshafts fine. The electrical deal that locks the front diff is working, and I also tried to engage the diff by taking off the electrical device and doing it with an extension. It doesn't seem to lock in. Is there something that is common to break in the differential of these vehicles? I am lost? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Brenton

2. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

someone correct me if I am wrong, but your year used a thermal actuator. Basically, a heating element would heat the gas contained in it to expand the gas and slide ring and pinion together. It is pretty common for these to fail, especially in cold weather. Later models went with an electric motor which would probably work or you can buy a conversion kit that allows you to manually shift into 4WD. Hope this helps.

Ray

3. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I have already taken the thermal actuator off and tried engaging it with a socket extension. The actuator works, but something inside is screwy. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Brenton

4. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

Possible the shift frork that slides the gear into place is out of whack.

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

So when you manually slide the fork over and turn the front driveshaft by hand, neither of the front wheels spin? If something were broken in there yuo would most likely get a grinding noise. BTW, the ring and pinion are always in place, and the actuator just slides a collar over to connect the right side axle shaft to the right side stub shaft. Sorry if I just confused you.