Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fourwheeler cover truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Dec 28, 2003.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is one nice K30. It really appeals to me because it is on the same tires as me and welds... I really like how it's setup with being somewhat practical and VERY clean inside and out. That would be one fun truck to own and like the artical said I bet it's a bad ass sled puller. I would REALLY like to know how he or who ever did the diamond plate interior trim, very cool and tough looking. The only think I would pick on is that I would have added 2 or 3 more inches of lift and got 14" stone crushers instead of 12's because the tires are sucked in. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That is a cool, stout, clean, good looking truck that is very capable and something to be proud of, I am using the same idea with my buildup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

meh, my favorite part of that rig was the stupid "offroad lights" hanging down from his front bumper. I guess approach angle isnt a big deal when 6" deep mud and the mall parking lot is all the terrain it ever sees. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

j

3. rjfguitar

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    How about saying "yeah that is nice" for once Jek.

4. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    meh, my favorite part of that rig was the stupid "offroad lights" hanging down from his front bumper. I guess approach angle isnt a big deal when 6" deep mud and the mall parking lot is all the terrain it ever sees. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah I guess if it doesn't have black wagon wheels and hacked fenders it must never see any offroading. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Even if it doesn't get wheeled, so what, I wouldn't beat a nice like that truck anyway. Is that so terrible that everyone on the planet doesn't rock crawl and beat their 4x4? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I think the point everyone is trying to make...

It's a 4x4 oriented magazine...right? ...obviously.

So why is there a mall truck in there, regardless of how nice it is? ok ok, fine, put a mall truck in there, but on EVERY cover? come on.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Okay here is what set me off on this truck. Dinky little tube for a diff cover (hit a rock in mud and that just becomes a projectile in the cover), driveshaft loop with sticker in tact (9" of mud would tear the sticker up), the "It's not what you buy...It's what you build" decal between two $$ euro tail lights, oh look real close at the rear shocks (diamond plate angle zip-tied to save the paint on the shocks).
    I will admit it does have potential for mud or towing or many other things. I don't believe it was built with a purpose other than to look nice (read "pretty") on dry suface streets. Then again I only have those stupid wagon wheels on my beat up 4x4, so I can't possibly know how to build anything (like wheels on a 1 ton that won't blow beads).

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is that so terrible that everyone on the planet doesn't rock crawl and beat their 4x4? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, yes it is as a matter of fact. You can begin repenting now

8. rjfguitar

Well I guess I'm different than most of you then because having the hardest core most cut up, can climb strait up, over boulders, etc,etc. just isn't that important to me because I have no desire to rock crawl. I like trucks that are built to take abuse but not something that has been rendered useless on the road either. I hate "showtrucks" just as much as most of you when they have 1/2ton running gear on huge tires with an 82' original 700r4 and a monster 130HP 305ci. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I hate the ones lifted to the friggin' moon with the tires 3 feet away from the bottom of the fenders. I hate extremely flashy paint and euro lights as well.

I do like a truck that has a modest lift,tires that AREN'T 44's for once and something more practical like 35's or a little bigger, single color or maybe 2 tone of a quality paint, clean nice inviteing interior, quality sound system(not 3K watts with 3502572 many subs in the back /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)most importantly beefy axles with upgraded or swapped in beefy tranny/t-case, a serious motor, and a truck that gets used to do what it was intended for (especially a 1 ton) pulling trailers,cars, other trucks, farm equipment, anything that needs to be pulled somewhere, hauling cargo, and getting to and fro wether if it's a cabin in the woods or to the bank. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    It also impresses me when someone fixes up a truck to make it look nice and make it stouter to handle any practical obsticle that it may enounter,because he has some pride put into it and it shows that he cares enough to take care of it and keep it nice when using it everyday(besides the guy that leaves it in the trailer and rolls it out at the show).

I guess I just like trucks for more than just offroad vehicles and that...that is the only thing that matters. That is what appealed to me with this truck because it is built strong, looks good and most importantly gets used everyday and even pulls a 25ft cattle trailer along with it being an excellent sled puller.

9. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tell Em'Bobby /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

In general, I like the truck. Yes there are some things I would change about it. The first thing to go would be those under the bumper lights.

I don't believe jekbrown was throwing any spears your way, just voicing an opinion. If he hadn't posted up, I could have guessed what he was going to say, because that is his opinion. We all have opinions on how our rigs should turn out, and the diversity is what makes this fun. If I had to build my rig like everyone else, then why bother?

Nobody said don't build it, or that it was a total waste of time and money. They just stated (in a way) that it either was or wasn't their cup of tea.

There are some things about everyones rig on here that I like, and some things that just turn me off. Some day there will be more pics of my rig on this sight, and I will take the criticism in stride. (Along with a few compliments(fingers crossed)) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

I don't believe jekbrown was throwing any spears your way, just voicing an opinion. If he hadn't posted up, I could have guessed what he was going to say, because that is his opinion. We all have opinions on how our rigs should turn out, and the diversity is what makes this fun. If I had to build my rig like everyone else, then why bother?

Nobody said don't build it, or that it was a total waste of time and money. They just stated (in a way) that it either was or wasn't their cup of tea.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It would be nice if everyone voiced their opinion in an apropriate manner, It seemed that his tone was more of a put down towards it calling it a "mall poser" and making fun tone than anything else. Jek seems to think that anything done to a rig that makes it nice and it doesn't simply and only enhance it for a trail... it is extremely worthless and stupid. (no affence Jek) but that is very narrow minded and he jumps very quickly to pick at something that isn't "trail minded only" IMHO.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Even if it doesn't get wheeled, so what, I wouldn't beat a nice like that truck anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Trucks are for work, not to look pretty.

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well yes and no some guyswork there trucks into the ground, like a truck CAN take, but take a look at trucks there built to be prity too(not that i like that but...) do you know haw many trucks are sold in north amarica a year? in 1999 ford sold a f-150 every 3.5 seconds in the usa alone chevy was right behind it and dodge in 7th or 8th how many of thouse ore worked? really? look at all the suv's hundreds of thousands of them out there, mabey a few thousand out there that have EVER gone off road even a little. You and me may not like it at all but trucks and suv"s are not just for work/off-road, the mall posers rule we are the minority. But we are still here /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Besides ther fact that all our trucks look better than the new poser trucks comeing of the lines these days go old school!! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'll go on record now stating that I have not seen the truck, nor do I have a subscription to the magazine therefore I am unable to form an opinion for this thread other than I like beer.

15. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm with you RIF,not everything needs to be hard core.my old truck was real fun in the mud. i'd come home with at least 2 to 3in. of mud covering the whole thing,saplings hanging under it,etc.i would have a hard-on all the way to work just looking at peoples expresions. that day i would wash all the mud off and then wax it when i got home,because i loved the way people wished they had my truck looking that sweet.i'm getting into rock crawling,a little,not many around except my front yard.now J.R. was a mud truck and i don't care if it gets smashed on rocks,trees.it's not my DD anymore.one day ya'll will see pics. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I like it but I find it hard to believe he does a lot of towing with those boggers. Maybe he put them on for the photo shoot.

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll go on record now stating that I have not seen the truck, nor do I have a subscription to the magazine therefore I am unable to form an opinion for this thread other than I like beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

well now I can sleep tonight! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

havnt seen the truck myself but just thought i would add my stupid opinion for the pad count... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

i think nice clean lifted trucks that are street drivin only and made to look nice is fine ..but not my thing ...i liek a truck that is ncie looking and biult beefy, and is used for what it was biult for..but i would never go bashing a truck to hell like ive seen done, when i wheel with my own truck, even though its got plenty of rust and dents on it i still try to keep it as "nice" as i can..trucks are a beutiful thing..so lets try to keepem that way!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

beer,mmmm /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifi have one right now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I can see it both ways. I love having a sweet looking truck that everyone thinks is nice when i do go to the mall, BUT I also love having a truck that is cool on the trail that you dont have to worry about messing up your nice "mall" paint.that truck was nice though and COULD do extreamly well on many many times of terain.