Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fourwheeler magazine has started to suck!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hunterguy86, Oct 31, 2005.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

RANT ON

In recent months, I've read posts from others not caring much for "fourwheeler." I've stayed loyal for a while but I've now decided not to renew my subsrciption. Everything is getting more and more and more about Jeeps. It seems every part they review is a heep part. I'm getting tired of it. Also every other page is a freakin advertisement. I can deal with this to an extent. I went home from college this weekend looking forward to getting my 2 new issues. I was kinda excited to read the coverage of the TTC challenge but it, well, it just plain SUCKED!!!! I was highly disappointed. When they start showing wheels that have diamonds and other jewels inlaid in them they just start to suck. I'm highly upset.

Rant Off

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Four wheeler has always swung towards the mall crawler end of things. I hate to say it but there are a lot more people going for looks than trail ability. The list of subscribers is what makes magazines big money, and the more people they have on that list, the better off they are.

3. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

....What do you mean, started?

I cut that subscription about 8 or so years ago, and haven't picked up a copy since. Pretty much, Petersens 4WOR is all I read, just about.

4. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Ever since I first looked at Four Wheeler in comparison to 4WOR, I've always thought 'Four Wheeler's for the BLING-BLING crowd', and not paid any heed to it.

BLING DOES NOT BELONG ON A 4X4!!! ALL TRUCKS BUILT FOR BLING FACTOR ALONE NEED TO BE SHOT UP WITH AN M134 MINI-GUN LIKE JESSE JAMES DID TO THE RX-7!!!!!

I'M NOT JOKING EITHER! WHEN IT COMES TO TRUCKS, IT PISSES ME OFF MORE THAN ANYTHING TO SEE ONE BUILT FOR PIMP/BLING AND PIMP/BLING ONLY!!!
    :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

5. hunterguy86

When I first started reading FW in highschool it was ok because as hard as it is to admit i was part of the bling crowd. But when I got to college and actually started learning about trucks more in depth I just really got turned off by FW. Now FW just sucks

6. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey before Fourwheeler got bought out by Peterson who is now Primedia when it was still made by Bob Guccione (what else does he did he do) it was a good magazine. It had no bling and good tech reads.

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Forgot to mention. Since I hate bling, that also means I think 'Truckin' magazine needs to be disbanded.

I wonder if there's any bad blood and feelings of tension between the 4WOR staff and the 'Truckin' staff? I hope there is. Cause I sure do to 'Truckin' magazine.

8. hunterguy86

Project TraLex has F***ed up all over it. What average guy is gonna go buy a lexus and wheel it. A lexas on the trail is about as useless as tits on a boar hog.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Primedia is the Mal-Wart of the magazine bidness. They cater to the lowest common denominator and suck up to their advertisers. I have seen the same article appear in several of their mags. Why pay multiple someones to write similar articles when you can just can the article and replay it in a different mag?

"4x4 Builder" was looking good, but then the head dude of it's publisher, Buckaroo Communications, went off the deep end and since he's a micro-manager nothing is getting done w/o his approval.

Find a copy of "Dirt Sports" if you want to see how a mag should be done.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, fauxwheeler does suck. The only redeeming feature they really have left is the TTC stuff... and even that has started to suck. My guess is they tease with the TTC coverage trying to get people to buy it on DVD. Lame.

j

11. hunterguy86

This is my thought also. what a bunch of a**jockeys

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeap, I dropped my subscription a year ago because it's turned into a heep rag.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, thats the other thing... I swear if I saw "Project Teal-J" one more time my head was going to explode...

j

14. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not to rag on them as I think they do a fairly decent job of not being brand loyal, but Teal J is getting old, and I haven't seen the 70's burb in a couple of years. I think even if it's rotting a hay field they oughta at least let the readers know what's going on.

15. hunterguy86

superburb was cool. id like to see it again

16. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

I liked project TraiLex :o :p:

17. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Opinions are like.........

18. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

One thing that turns me off about them is that they whinned a while back about not wanting any truck pic in the reader rides that wern't trail trucks and actualy off road in the picture yet every one of their cover trucks barley gets off roaded. One little dirt pile is about all they put them on.

And what in the hell is with them wanting you to renew your subscription ever month?

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I thought Trail Lex was a great idea. The other thing they do, and have done since I was reading my dad's Fourwheelers back in the '70s, is expedition (trips, not the Ford) stories. They have the best ones in 4x4 print media. The last thing they HAD was TTC, but the coverage of that sucked so bad this year. I'll probably keep getting it as long as there are a few good articles per year. Buying it twice at the newsstand covers a year's subscription.

20. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I don't think they could have included any less coverage of TTC. I hate their DVD's cause they don't cover any real tech, and now the mag won't even describe the TTC. **** it, I don't think I will be renewing them either. I had to drop 4WOR cause it got to repeditive (except ultimate adventure). I like Pewe but he seems to let the mag run on 6 month cycles.