Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Foward front axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K2500, Mar 15, 2002.

1. K2500

K2500 Registered Member

I am having trouble with my approach angle on tough obsticals. Right now I am trying to figure out a way to move the front axle up to the front of the frame rails. been discussing with some of the crawlers aroung these parts and we can come up with 4-link with coils yet then we come to the problem of side to side movement. A track bar would cure that, but then you run into bind problem at full drop or full compresion. My question is, has anyone tried this.
    all opinions welcome.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You'll get more responses on this type of stuff here:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/
    Please do a search before posting though, there is TONS of info there and if you post with an open question like this, where you could find most of the answers in the archives, they are known to be a little less than understanding. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Me, I've had visions of 1/4 elliptic front and rear, 3(4 on the frame) link with center wishbone (there are some clearance problems in the front) and crossed links with normal ride height on the springs but air-bags raising the leaf bumps of their seat for that extra break over clearance when needed. If the bags blow, the spring still support it and you can continue. That would allow 100 degree + approach/departure without breaking a sweat. Will I ever do it? Probably not. I can get close enough with using leafs, make them work right, and I don't think I'll ever find the return worth the effort. Who knows, if I suddenly find myself rich, retire early, and get bored. Maybe...

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Take a look at installing Chevy S10 rear spring packs in the front. Specs are as follows:

From the center pin forward to the front spring eye is about 24.25
    From the center pin back is about 27.25
    Overall 52ish
    3 + overload leaves.

The modifications needed would be far-less than fabing up a linked-front, but it's far from a "bolt-on" deal, and I would think, have -most- of the benifits of the inked sys.

Just a thouhgt.

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Twiztid
    How far will that setup move the front axle foward? Just kinda curious. I've been wondering the same ? but I'm not up for a 4 or 3 link at all in the front.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I didn't do it, I found out about it after I commited to the stock 52s in front.

The S10 pack would, if installed in the stock location, move the axle -back- about an inch, but that wouldn't be possibe without moveing the shackles back. So, the front buckets would need to be moved forward, and the shackles could remain in their position, but slightly kicked back.
    I would think, this combination would end up relocating the front axle about 2-3 inches forward.

-Not a weekend deal, forsure.

6. liv'n-large

liv'n-large Registered Member

Use a double wishbone link suspension with one facing the other way around. One will mount at two points on the axle and one point on the transfer case x-member and the other wishbone at two places on the frame one on each side and on at the center of the front axle this might sound confusing but i cnt draw you a picture if i could it would make more sense

7. BadDog

I just wish someone would find a set of common lift springs (read, not custom $$$) that would be about 2" longer with the pin about 1.5 - 2" forward of stock GM. Is that too much to ask? Of course, while I'm at it, I'll just throw in that they should be willing to trade even for my new BDS lift springs. Hey, if your gonna dream...

8. K2500

K2500 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Found alot of info on the pirate board, now have to filter throught it and put it to good use.
    I did run into a guy Sat.. He moved his front foward by taking (ok get ready for this) ford 1/2 front leafs and moving his shackles. but he only got 2 inches out of all that work. If I commit the time to this I want at least 90 to 100 degree approach angle. Only way to offset the trouble of turning it into a lwb.

9. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

bigger tires?

10. BadDog

It's going to be really hard (nearly impossible I think) to get a true 90+ approach angle with leafs (as you've suggested). However, my 42s moved 2" forward and cutting the frame flush with the front hangers gets close enough for most practical purposes. Doing any better than that with leaf springs that still work (without major compromise) is only going to be possible with larger tires (48" Michelins were on my mind for a while till I came up on these 42s). If you move the axle any closer to the front hanger (with a stock spring type setup) it is going to make front geometry a little crazy. Switching to front shackle hanger (solid in the back) would help though, although that introduces other problems.

On those F150 front springs, what's the scoop? If I understand you correctly, it does move the axle forward 2 inches and is a little longer than the GMs. How much longer? I don't think I ever ran across a F150 with front leafs when I was measuring stuff but I don't remember for sure what all I measured, just that I didn't find anything that seemed to be ideal for what I wanted to do.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

why do you need leaves from a front ap?

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

name a benefit to that system.

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like what you need are ORD's 0-rate leafs. You can move the front axle forward 1 to 1 1/2 " with them and they are safe in the front since they are not really blocks but rather a very short leaf the is held together with the rest of the leaf springs via the center spring bolt.

14. BadDog

I don't need springs from a front. All I want is springs with the pin located roughly 2" forward of GM stock (relative to front eye) and overall (eye-to-eye) length 2" longer than stock. Width needs to be 2.5-3" and should ideally have an arch that would result in 4-5" of lift. Doesn't matter to me if they come from the back of a Isuzu as long as they have enough rate/arch to function in that capacity without fatiguing and failing.

15. BadDog

The ORD zero-rates only offset a maximum of 1.5", I want 2". I'm making my own from 3.0 x .750 strap stock that have a 2" offset and are a bit longer (to the front) than the stock perches to help stabilize (one plate top and bottom) the spring rather than letting it flex near the centering pin. I just need to get them down to a local shop to have the countersink dropped with an flat bottom end mill and they will be done.

16. K2500

K2500 Registered Member

I dont know why he used the F-150 springs. I think it was for the ride, yet I dont know for sure. The reason he got the 2" foward was because he cut the shackles and hangers off his frame and mounted them foward of there old locations. He also has alot more geomotry genius than I do, and some how made it work.
    I did find out that I am going to have to do alot more homework than I thought to make anything work.
    Almost easier just to build a I-beam bumber and bounce off the rocks. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif