Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fox Air Shocks

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by denver75k5, Feb 20, 2004.

1. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Does anyone here run these? I would like to here some input on these.
    AIR SHOCKS

Im just wondering if a fullsize (even a truggie) is too heavy? hmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif pondering........

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

There is another thread around here by me on the subject. My truggy I was considering them but I'm sure mine will be lighter than even yours. THe thing is that they themselves are cheap but to run them in a fullsize requires high nitrogen pressure which requires a special($$) regulator, so in the end you are getting close to coilover country. I decided against them and will someday upgrade from coils to coilover shocks. Dan @ Bluetorch made a good point, with coilovers, if you blow a seal and loose gas pressure, you still have the springs to get you home. With the Airshocks if you blow a seal, you sit down on the axle and have fun getting home.

3. denver75k5

That is a good point, im just exploring my options. Evrything
    seems to point me twords coilovers , but $$ouch!!$$

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I hope my post doesn't get deleted, but try Polyperformance and Bent & Twisted. I just called them and both have great pricing on Sway-A-Way coilovers. You can get them for under $900 now.

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

FYI the fox's have a 1000 lbs per shock limit on wieght. Soooo if you have a fullsize your going to be over the limit unless your really really light, or dont have any wieght in the back end. I would rather run Coil overs on a fullsize, but you cant beat the tunability of the Air Shocks. I also second Poly Performance, they seem to have pretty good prices on the SAW Race Runners.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know I my beast should be below 1000 lbs at all four corners. Remember its sprung weight, unsprung isn't a factor. Mine will be very similar to Billavista's buggy. Actually fitting them in the rear isn't a problem is the weight in the front. Rear ends are usually much lighter than the front.

7. denver75k5

See, thats my dilemma, the back of my truggie is really light while the front is slightly heavier. I really need to get this thing weighed.

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You can also run combo set up of low rate coils (used lift coils from a doaner) and use the air shocks to make up the difference. Then if a shock fails you aren't stranded, you can set the ride to match the trail, and the shock will only be supporting the extra that the spring isn't. You could basically run some cheap TJ springs and air shocks on a 6000LB truck with pretty good results. In theory however.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah but you might as well save the big $$$ and run coils and quality shocks. I'm just going coils and Bilstein 5100s on my rear suspension. Someday I will do Coilovers in the front.

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Az has the best idea so far, i was chatting with a friend at Off Road Warehouse and he said that they are better when used as a "secondary" spring, not a main spring because on heavier vehicles they are much harder to tune right without making them insanely stiff.

11. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That is a good point, im just exploring my options. Evrything
    seems to point me twords coilovers , but $$ouch!!$$

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you considered 1/4 el.? Much less $$ than coilover./forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I too am leary of having air shocks go "flat".... although I'm talking outta my a$$ cuz I've never run them. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Marv

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah another concern of mine was changing of the rates on a long trip, they heat up and well air expands. 1/4 eliptical is definetally an option but you have to get a good pack to hold up a heavy full size(not hard just saying).

13. denver75k5

Yes, my buddie has a buggy with 1/4 eliptic front and rear, it works very well but he still had to buy sway aways to make it more stable on the trail. If I go that far I mite as well do coilover.