Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fox AirShocks, thinking about running them

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by sled_dog, Jan 30, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Looking for opinions and thoughts on running Fox AirShocks. I just read through Billavista's article again and am thinking of trying them on the rear of my buggy.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Airshox/index.html
    thats the article for those at a loss. Now they say they are capable of holding up 1000 lbs at each corner. I think I should be just fine running them in the rear of my rig. I'd like to run them in the front too but I think I will save my money and time and get a set of 2.5 coilovers up front that I know will do that job well. My rig is going to be a tube creation so sprung weight will be down there around 700 with Billa's rig. I talked to Bluetorch and they only want $215 per air shock. I was only planning on $5 coils but I think this is a better idea. So opinions? What about Nitrogen pricing? sounds like I will go through a good bit of it in the tuning process.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Dan at Bluetorch talked me out of the Air Shocks, his main point was, if you bust an O ring that thing is gonna sit on the axle, with a coilover if you blow an o ring you can drive it home its just not gonna be running optimum. So looks like I'm saving my money big time and getting some King Coliovers.

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about running these (in due time though) i dont know how you expect paying less for some kings. I dont remember what i was planning on spending but i know it was A LOT. I think by the time i do this project there will be enough improvements to the air shock that weight wont be that much of an issue. if not i will probably go with some Race Runners.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No no no I meant I have to save money to afford some Kings. The weight wouldn't be an issue for me, my tube buggy wouldn't overload them but for the full size rig you need a higher than standard nitrogen regulator(most are like 200 PSI). Billavista mentioned that in his article, thats about $200 alone. So thats about 600 for the Airshocks and the Kings will be about $1000 through Bluetorch.

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

The wieght rating for one of those shocks is only 1000lbs. So unless you plan on your chassis wieghing less than 1000lbs a corner I wouldnt run those shocks.

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So thats about 600 for the Airshocks and the Kings will be about $1000 through Bluetorch.

[/ QUOTE ] I see, since you put nmubers in there i t would make sence to go with the kings (tried and true.) Don't quote me on this becaue i may be talking outta my arse, but my roommate got some kings (just the shocks) and they ran him $250 a side. thats where they get you---you have to buy the spinigs too, depending on if you go single, double or even triple rate, that adds a lot of money. and even then the first set of springs may not be the right ones for you application. (ie. too soft, too stiff.) if you do go this route make sure to talk to someone in charge of bluetorch and see if they have a kind of return deal if the first ones aren't the right ones. I know Polyperformance has or had a deal (he dosnt carry kings though, but does have the springs.) where if you didn't scratch the springs all you did was call him and send them back and get a different spring rate. it is not hard to not scratch the springs to get them on the shock, but it is a little tricky getting them on and off the truck if you don't have a lot of mounting area.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm thinking I am gonna spend the money on a winch now and just run coil springs. I can always upgrade later.