Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fox body Mustang, torque box reinforcement, let me see yours

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by sled_dog, Aug 21, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Looking for pictures of torque box reinforcement on a fox body. My sister's have torn twice now. Once I welded them up, now the metal failed around the welds(not weld failure but metal fatigue from the weld). So I need to make reinforcement plates now. I pretty well have it planned out, just want to see other people's work to compare my ideas. I hae only found a few pieces people sell online and notations on cars that they "have reinforced the torque boxes".

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The SFCs I bought had a big plate on them that covers part the bottom of the torque boxes. It helps reinforce the torque boxes when they are welded in.. Mine havent torn yet. But I may have to do smothing stronger when I get some boost and some slicks. I done have any pics. right now.
    But
    Here is an article from fordmuscle.com that shows pics of the torque box reinforcement plates and install. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/06/braced/index2.shtml
    Scroll down page for the part about the Torque box ref. The next page in th article has good pics of install.
    Hope this helps.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ahhh thats why I couldn't see how to install those plates, weld on subframe connectors are already in that spot. Oh well, I'll come up with something.

Sounds like another friend wants to build a budget NMRA Stock class racer so may have to work on that too.