Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FPR mounting?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, May 17, 2005.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I have a 355 w/ edelbrock 650. Mallory FPR and a tbi tank/pump. Sometimes I will be driving and if I let off the gas it wants to die but if I am accelerating it runs great. I was in my driveway setting the idle and tuning the carb and was perfect. We drove about 5 miles to my flexing spot and started having issues. Let it sit for about 10 mins and everything suddenly was fine? Then It started it again about 10 mins later. Then I drove it home. Everytime I let off the gas it tried to die. Pulled into my drive way and all of a sudden everything was fine. While I was driving I could feel my fuel lines pulsing (the passenger checked) And the fuel pressure gauge was jumping (it is right after my FPR). Then in the driveway all was fine again. Is a fuel pressure regulator supposed to be mounted close to the carb. I have mine mounte right after my tank so that I only have the input fuel line running to the front of the truck instead of the input and return. Could these be the reason my truck sometimes wants to cut out?

2. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

anybody?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What sort of fuel pump setup are you running?? If its a mechanical setup, you want it between the pump and the carb. If electric you should still ahve it closer to the carb. What are you doing for a return setup if your regulator is all the way back there??

4. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I have a TBI tank w/ a TBI intank pump. I have the return running from the regulator the the tank just like factory but a much shorter run. I am thinking about moving it back up by the carb.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think it would be better for fuel supply. I don't know, I could be wrong. I've never seen one mounted way back there. Always as close to the carb as possible.

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Shaun, have you checked the pressure at the carb with a decent gauge?
    My Summit guage is rubbish . Reads 7-8 lbs even when there was 20 going thru it!
    If you're getting to much pressure it'll do what you're saying

7. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Well we tore the carb apart last night and it was kinda nasty. Had some grime on the needle and seat. And aluminum shavings on the prescreens. This is a brand new carb (200 miles on it). Put it all back together and she purrs. Set the idle at 650 and when you put it in gear it sits at 550 and just purrs. Throttle response is so much better and man can you feel those secondaries kick in. We also found that the bottom butterflies on the secondaries where not seated well. So she is good.

We are now building a 1st gen Quadrajet to put on there and will be pulling the edelbrock off.