Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FPR on TBI?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rocky91, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Rocky91

Rocky91 Registered Member

Can anyone direct me to where the Fuel Pressure Regulator is on a '91 TBI 350? I don't know much about TBI setups, but I need to check it because my truck is running extremely rich. Thanks.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's just behind the injectors, inside a cylindrical housing that is about the diameter of a nickel. All the ones that I've seen are a gold cad-plated color. But there isn't anything on it that you can check. It isn't adjustable from the factory. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif If you're running rich, there are a few things to check. A bad O2 sensor can cause it, as can a bad engine temperature sensor. If the computer thinks that engine is colder than it really is, then it will inject extra fuel. If the check engine light is on constantly, then the ECM will go into "limp home" mode, which also runs the engine quite rich.

A leaky injector can also cause it. You can check the spray pattern by hooking up a timing light and aiming it at the injectors with the engine running. The "freeze" effect of the timing light will let you see the fuel coming out of the injectors. You should see 2 conical spray patterns, 1 from each injector. If one (or both) are dripping or spraying an odd pattern, then it's time to have the injectors rebuilt or replaced.

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Check out this sight web page . It gives step by step instructions on how to make the FPR adjustable. This probably isn't your problem. I would check the 02 sensor, EGR, and air filter.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Have you done this to your yet sir?

BTW, how was the trip /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I started to when I rebuilt my TBI unit. I start to drill the plug and drilled down about a 1/4" and still didn't get thru so I quit. I was sure how far down I needed to drill, so I stopped before I jacked anything up. I was kinda in a hurry with the rebuild. I may try to do it, if I can find a 454 TBI unit.
    The trip was great. Backyardbuilt just sent a picture of my K5 all twisted up. I will post it on the Disney thread.