Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fram Filters????

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wfahlgren, Feb 13, 2002.

1. wfahlgren

wfahlgren 1/2 ton status

I have herd that the fram oil filters are Bad. and dangerous? Is this true for all types? Is this true?

2. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I'm not the biggest fan of regular Fram filters (the orange ones), but the Fram Tough-Gard is a lot better. The most important thing to look at in an oil filter ( in my opinion) is the multi-pass efficiency rating, stated in percentage. The regular Fram filter doesn't have the greatest multi-pass efficiency rating, but in no way are they dangerous!. The Fram Tough-Gard has a 99% multi-pass efficiency rating, even higher than the pricey Mobil-1 filters. No, I'm not a spokesperson for Fram, I'm just very particular about my oil filters. I hope this helps.

Will

'72 C10, originally 2WD, 6"Springs f+r, Dana 60 f+r, Lock-Right front, welded rear, 4.56s, 350, SM465, NP205, 39.5" TSLs, ORD crossover steering

3. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

A friend told me about a Fram filter that uses a valve to keep oil up at the top end when the motor is not running, supposedly reducing wear at start-up. Anyone heard of such a filter?
    Jeff

sold my girlfriend and bought a blazer

4. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Read this!
    http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg

5. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

That oil filter study is very interesting! I'm glad the Fram Tough-Gard is on the list of recommended filters. That makes me feel a lot better. I've never liked the regular Frams, and the Fram Double-Gard is too expensive and I know better than to put Teflon in my engine.

Will

'72 C10, originally 2WD, 6"Springs f+r, Dana 60 f+r, Lock-Right front, welded rear, 4.56s, 350, SM465, NP205, 39.5" TSLs, ORD crossover steering

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

That oil filter study has been around for some time. I'd heard that he had to remove it and then change URLs because of legal hassling from Fram.

Anyhow, the only Fram filter I would use is their racing series (HP-1, HP-2, HP-4). In my street cars and my Blazer I use AC-Delco filters.

7. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Yes it has Steve. I don't know about the law suits but I did save it. It gets asked in all the forums I check out.
    AC Delco is all I use also since I read the oil study.

<a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg</a>